1979 CJ5 I'm new at this

1979CJ5

I have a 1979 CJ5. The roll bar is starting to rust out where it connects to the body. Most jeep parts can be found on lots of websites. However I've noticed factory style roll bars are hard to find. Other then Ebay I haven't found much in the way of kits or DYI sets on the market. As for fully assembled bars I haven't found any. Am I just looking in the wrong place?

Thanks,

ali

What area do you live in? Do you want a OEM style and an aftermarket full cage style? I have a lot of contacts, may be able to point you in the right direction.

The ones that mount to the floor behind the front seats are on the 80,s models. I believe 81 and up.

What area do you live in? Do you want a OEM style and an aftermarket full cage style? I have a lot of contacts, may be able to point you in the right direction.

I live in Michigan. Not to far from Grand Rapids.

Thanks again

The OEM roll bars are hard to find for 2 reasons, limited production and that the suck as roll bars and offer little to no protection. I understand if you want the stock appearence and I can appreciate that, but if safety is your concern, put in something far more substantial with solid A and B pillars that attach to the frame.

Welcome.

I agree that the OEM rollbars do more for looks than your safety. Check summit, jegs, racingjunk, and others for quality rollbar kits shipped to your door or a local speed shop or hotrod builder and have them make one for you.

The ones that mount to the floor behind the front seats are on the 80,s models. I believe 81 and up.

Actually part way through the 1978 model year the bar went from being mounted on top of the rear fender wells and bolted through the side of the tub to the main bar being mounted to the front of the rear fender well/floor behind the front seat. Also 1978 was the last model year that a rollbar was not required in a CJ by Federal standards with the bar being listed as optional equipment and until that time there was a thriving cottage industry throughout the country of small shops that offered rollbars.

This might be of some help:

http://www.jeep4x4center.com/jeep-cj5/roll-bar-cage.htm

Back