Antifreeze Leak

RBREECE

I replaced a a water pump on my 1997 Jeep Wrangler, after completing and making sure that I had the new water pump installed and everything replaced and sealed, and started to refilled the radiator with antifreeze it is a steady drip, I have also replaced, the lower radiator hose and theromistate also. It looks like the drip is comming behind the harmonic balencer, is there something that I have missed?
Thanks you
Randy B.

To be certain of exactly where the leak originates , see if you can rent a cooling system pressure tester from autozone . It fastens to the radiator where the radiator cap goes . You then pump it up to the cooling system pressure marked on the radiator cap . The pressure wil force out antifreeze from the leaking area and you will be able to find where to correct the leak.

The water pump gasket just may have not sealed, too much rtv or not enough or got smeared off putting the pump back on. Ive had to redo gaskets more than once because it didn't seal, especially on axle covers.

Yes , it's very possible the gasket could be leaking . These days , the lack of quality of replacement parts and their imperfect machined surfaced and the less than quality gaskets they include , very possible. Gasket sealer dosen't always close the gap , rtv is the only way to build up and seal any voids . Just never go overboard , never want any to seep into the part , just enough to seal is all that is needed.

When I replace any gaskets in the cooling system i dress them, assemble them and let it sit for an hour after tightening down.

Second if you have a black light from Halloween, you could use it to illuminate the antifreeze and track where it leakin.

Back