What to look for in a used jeep

Sully

Well guys,I need to bone up on information about Cj7's.The years I like are about 76' to 83'.I need to know what to look for,whats a good deal,what kind of transmission,axals to look for,what to stay away from, that sort of stuff.I just need to know the basic specifications. Thanks :wink: Sully[addsig]

Watch for Rust the number one Jeep Killer. Frame is the foundation to the Jeep so start there. I would try to find one that has been someones baby and all ready has some lift and so on. Luck Sully. Tug[addsig]

Ya, I found a great one on ebay 78' with a 350 V8 4spd.The highest bid is at 2800 with the reserve met!!! The best part of all,is that it has 36 and painted up all red white and blue,american jeep flag style.Its pretty cool. Later :wink: Sully[addsig]

First thing you need to deceide is it going to be a trail truck or a "I don't want to tear it up truck".[addsig]

What's wrong with years 84-86? There isnt really any difference with those and an 83. If you're looking at stock CJs a later year has some advantages... you can find one with wide-track axles (after 81 or 82 I think). The roll bar is also more securely mounted after 79. And maybe one thats a few years younger will have a little less rust. :lol:

If yer real lucky maybe you can find a 76-79 with a T-18 four speed though...

jim[addsig]

I dont care abouty the roll bar.Im probly gonna rip it out and put in a new one.And guys would you do me a favor and check out this one cj7 on ebay.Go to www.ebaymotors.com search under cj7,it is about 2800 with a 350 V8 and painted patriotically.About a 76'-78'. Thanks for all of your help. :wink: Sully[addsig]

Ok... I think that this is the Jeep that you're talking about....

Red White & Blue CJ

Lets start with the drivetrain... Find out if its running the stock axles... if it is, then it has an AMC 20 in the rear. Hopefully the guy has put in one-piece axle shafts to turn those big tires (assuming its an AMC 20). I'm willing to bet that it hasnt been re-geared either for those 36" tires, so you're gonna want to ask about that.

If everything is stock except for the engine, then he should be running a dana 20 transfercase and a t-18 four speed... you'll probably want to ask to make sure though.

As far as the lift is concerned, the mention of a 3" block lift seems excessive, but the 4" of suspension lift doesnt sound too bad.

Find out how extensive the rust that he mentions is too... better yet, go check it out... look at the floorboards, in front of the rear wheel wells... body mounts near the tailgate hinges.

I hope I dont kill your hopes here... but I would probably pass on this one. Especially if you're not gonna be able to go check it out or drive it before the auction is over. This guy has done a little to cram some 36's under the fenders, but I get the feeling that he hasn't done anything to maintain this Jeep's driveability.

IMHO, you're better off finding a jeep that's either:
a. closer to stock, then you can do the mods yourself (the right way)
or
b. similar to this one, but with the lower gears and beefier axles that you're gonna need.

Hope this helps,
jim

oh yeah... a tub is the body of the Jeep.[addsig]

ok... a little personal experence here, before i got my jeep, i was all about internationl scouts, so i find one on ebay that sounds just right, perfect, it even happens to be about an hour away from me, so i go look at it, and it is a total PIECE OF CRAP, if i hadent gone to look at it i was goin to bid on it anyways, and would have most likely gotten it, but after i went to look at it no way was i gonna spend my own money on that scout... so the moral of the story is i would never buy a car/jeep/truck off of ebay w/o personally checking it out first[addsig]

Only complaint I have against the newer CJ's is the friggin carbs used and smog crap installed. Avoid if you can any motor that has the "pulsed air" system. The air manifolds are becomming real hard to find! If you plan on a motor swap later, well forget about what I just mentioned!
:lol:
Look closely at the steering box support plates! Wipe the grundge from them if you have to, to inspect for cracks & splits. It's been know to happen, to have the steering box, take a vacation at the most unopertune moments, because the brackets all crack! Especially when larger tires are tossed in!.
I've had to repair one of the 2 bracket on my CJ-5 on the Rubicon trail. Fortunatly I didn't have to use my winch cable to hold everything together (as many have done!)
I caught it in time, and buzzed up the crack before it traveled completly across. Thus droppin the box.

As mentioned eariler, rust. Watch for it. Another thing I've become aware of, to look for, is the wiring harness! Is it intact? If not why? There migh just be something else really wrong with the harness if it's not lookin pretty. Why'd it get taken apart? (if it was) I don't think a lot of people really look at that.

Check out the skid plate. Is is "beat to hell"! bent in weird places, (been rock crawling haven't ya) Bottom of the differentials? diff cover, is it peeled back? maybe water has reached the ring gear?

I could go on, but I'm gettin tired! Keep reading, I'm sure other's will have plenty more suggestions

Good luck
:-D [addsig]

Back