Fuel Filter With Mechanical Fuel Pump

dennisonwj

It has become obvious that people will use an inline fuel filter between the gas tank and the the fuel pump and also between the fuel pump and the carburetor. Would it be prudent/sensible to include the same configuration with a mechanical fuel pump?

If yes, where?

At the moment I have this configuration fuel tank --> fuel pump --> Holley fuel regulator --> Weber carburetor. Where is the series should I include fuel filter(s)?

If it were me, I think I would put them here: fuel tank-----(filter)---fuel pump----regulator-----(filter)-----carb.
One between the tank and pump would probably do fine, but myself and others like to have one before the carb as well just to make sure. I currently have 3 filters on mine, one before the pump and two after, a bit overkill I think.

In the past, I only ran a inline filter between the pump and the carb when running a mechianical pump. I have found that a filter between the tank and the pump will starve the mechanical pump under initial fuel demand for acceleration. Most mechanical pumps are just lobe pumps and any particulate in the fuel would not harm it. I guess you could go with a larger micron filter if you have a concern due to aging fuel tank.

With an electric pump, I have had no issues with the filter between the tank and pump, and usually eliminate the filter between the pump and carb. Since the electric pump operates at a higher PSI and generally needs to be regulated down for carb applications no concerns for fuel on demand. Plus the cost of the electric pump vs mechanical it is worth the protection.

Alright, thanks. I will do fuel tank > filter > pump > regulator > filter > carb
FOR NOW

I will use clear filters so I can see what is happening in them, if needed, I will pull out the one before the pump if problems arise.

Back