Tailgate swap

Ghost Rider

Hi guys. I come across of a tailgate that I could buy. It is for a CJ and has the Jeep script stamped on it. I always wanted to replace my YJ tailgate with one of these but put it off... I also wanted to do that so I can mount the hinges on the bottom of it. Had anyone done that and do you know if it will fit or do I have to have major body job to do it??? Any input will be breathe lay appreciated.
Thanks

Hey Man..... I know it can be done. I think one of our members, "Superj" maybe, had either started a link or gave really good comments about this last summer. Hopefully he or someone else who has done this will chime in soon.

I think Swag Offroad makes a pretty trick kit to put a CJ tailgate on a YJ or TJ. If you DIY, you will have to add support to the lower portion of the tub where the CJ hinges will go, but pretty straight forward swap.

Hi guys. I come across of a tailgate that I could buy. It is for a CJ and has the Jeep script stamped on it. I always wanted to replace my YJ tailgate with one of these but put it off... I also wanted to do that so I can mount the hinges on the bottom of it. Had anyone done that and do you know if it will fit or do I have to have major body job to do it??? Any input will be breathe lay appreciated.
Thanks

Superj did a nice right up on the swap. If you dig around a bit you might find it. Or you could shoot him a pm.

I did mine this past summer. The hard part was getting the nuts in the part under the tailgate for the hinge. It was really a pain. Other then that, it came out super but my hardtop is a no go now. It takes two people to open and close now because yj hard tops have a lip that require they be closed before the tailgate. With a softop though, its perfect.

It didn't take hardly anytime to do though

I should have done this type though because I like this one even more. It measure wider then the yj/cj style ones so I didn't do this type but once I got a cj5 I see why it measures wider, the tailgate closes on the outside so that extra bit is the overlap. The tub measurement is the same for this tailgate and our style tailgates but since this closes like an old pickup, it has to be wider to go past the tub edge

Back