33"s or 35"s on CJ5

5 Alive

I was hoping to get some feedback on if having to cut fenders is worth the effort to run 35's instead of 33's. I have a fully locked CJ5 with a 258, T18 transmission, 3.15 low transfer case, Dana 30 front and corporate rear with solid axles. I have been running 33's without trouble for a while and have concern about the strength of the axles with 35's which I would like to run. Since fender trimming would be required is it worth it performance wise to go through the trouble? Any advise or experience would be appreciated. Thank You

How much lift? I am told I can run 35s easily on my cj5, other then I need to get wheels that push out farther then stock so they dont rub the springs. I have a 4" lift on mine and its a 76

How much lift? I am told I can run 35s easily on my cj5, other then I need to get wheels that push out farther then stock so they dont rub the springs. I have a 4" lift on mine and its a 76

I have a 2 1/2" spring lift and 2" body lift and are using widetrack CJ axles with 10" wide rims. 35's would fit without a problem however with full articulation the tires would not fit the fender opening. I would have to make the opening about 1" larger to prevent tire rub, just don't know if the work is worth it for 1" more ground clearance.

Everything I've read has been that the 35's will be too much for the Dana 30. I'm only reporting what I have read, not based on experience. I really wanted to go with 35's but without Dana 44s, it was risky. So 33's it was for me and they do great.

I've been running my 81 CJ7 with 35's for over 15 years with narrow track 30 front and AMC 20 rear. I used to run 35x 12.5 -15's until 2004, I switched to 35x14.5-15's. I haven't had any issues with the axles however, I have made pretzels out of my drive shafts and upgraded It since.

Sent from my iPad using Jeepz

Back