Stability with Quadra-trac vs '82-'86 axles

jayjahnig

I once owned a '78 Jeep CJ-7 with Quadra-trac and a 304 v-8 with stock wheels and radial stock-size tires. Wonderful rig on ice and snow. What I'm wondering is if I want stability, am I better with Quadra-trac (QT) or an '82-'86 wider axle? I drive on SouthDakota ice and snow, and loose gravel in the summer-where if you discover you need 4WD, it may already be too late - that is why I'm leaning toward finding another QT again -it's always there! Gas mileage? I could coax 17-19 from my '78 V-8 - not really much less than part-time 4WD and a straight 6...
I test drove a wrangler on ice in 2wd because the road was dry in front of the dealer - it wanted to fish-tail on ice patches at 40mph - not good as one then hits a dry patch at 40 going slightly sideways! This did not happen on my QT.

I am open to whatever wisdom anyone will share... I do not want to buy something that won't work. Am I overlooking something? Also, can one somehow move the wheels and tires out comparable to the wider 82-86 axles? What does one need and cost? :-?

edited by: jayjahnig, Apr 23, 2003 - 02:07 AM[addsig]

The main problem that you will run into trying to fit wide-track axles under a quadratrac CJ is that (if I'm not mistaken) one of your diffs is off center, whereas both diffs are centered on non-quadratrac CJs.
As far as stability/traction is concerned, it makes sense that your old Jeep with full time 4wd would hold up better in those snowy/icy conditions... the advantage to the wide-track axles is simply that the jeep is less susceptible to rollover.

jim

edited by: jsharifi, Apr 23, 2003 - 08:28 AM[addsig]

You'll have to swap your transfer case for a part-time unit to use the wide-track AMC20 or D44 rear CJ axle.

You'll get a lot more stability on side-hills, and when sliding sideways. Only questions are: Do you want to get rid of full-time 4wd, and can you find used widetrack axles?

Probably be easier to find front and rear Dana44's from a IH Scout.[addsig]

maybe I need to clarify regarding moving the wheels out - I was referring to any type of extension that may be out there? I'm not about to change a perfectly good axle out!

Also, maybe I need to watch for an 92 -86 CJ-7 with an automatic - the auto would not exert a slowing drag on the rear wheels when the gas is let up on, or if downshifted...
The auto acts like any other vehilce and simply coast to a top without a dangerous drag spoken about above.

Comments?
thanks!

-Jay

[addsig]

Back