TJ glasspack

bigschrec

I would like to put a glasspack on my 98 wrangler. I was wondering if anyone has one and could tell me what they sound like and if they like it. Also is there a big difference between the cherry bomb and the magnaflow glasspack?

A cherry bomb or glasspack muffler will sound terrible on a 4, or 6 cyl engine. The motor dont have enough umph to make the muffler rumble, it will sound like a tin can. It may sound pretty good if you put on a performance muffler (thrusher, turbo muffler..etc) and a set of 6cyl headers.

My 76 cj5 has a glasspak and sounds badass. Its got the 4.2. It really sounds like a hotrod.

I am installing a new wiring harness so I cannot get a sound bite for you though

Yes, yes, I should retract my statement.... I have heard 6cyl sound good, real good in fact, but they had headers and a expensive aftermarket exhaust and didn't just simply replace the muffler with a glasspack. My friend has a 4.0 explore and he replaced the muffler with a flowmaster and dual tips, it sounds like crap. I assumed the OP just wants to replace the muffler only, I don't think he will like it.

Thanks for the responses. Would a whole new exhaust system be better. I was looking at the AFE Mach force exhaust but didn't want to really spend $300 plus on it so that's why I looked into glasspacks. My TJ is a 2.5L 4 cylinder by the way.

I would hate to tell you yes. I think exhaust is a personal preference thing, some like the sound a supped up Honda makes and others don't . If I wanted a more throaty sound from a 4cyl, I would get a header and a cat back exhaust, it wont sound like a v8 but will have a deeper sound, and you will probably gain a few horses from the headers and better flowing exhaust (just a guess, but maybe 10hp or so).

Being a 2.5L is a game changer. I wouldn't change a thing, there is no aftermarket exhause, muffler or system, that makes the 2.5L sound good (that I've found). I've tried many different setups on my 2.5L and I've come full circle, back to stock exhaust.

Okay thank you for the input guys. I'll just leave it stock then from what you've had to say. I'll put that money towards one of the many other things for my Jeep haha

I have probably done more than you are willing to do... In my case, I even removed the cat (LOUD!), and right now, I am running a Borla cat back. It sounds OK, but it is still too loud for my taste.

Leave the cat on and replace the muffler with a 5" straight pipe. That should be loud enough for you. If it is not, then bend the exit end of the straight pipe inwards to a 45 degree angle, that will make it louder. :)

Last edited:
Would you happen to know if that is legal in PA? I thought I heard that you need a muffler I'll have to check up on it

Turns out you can get away with no muffler as long as you have the cats on. Not really a true straight pipe though but will definitely louden it

I'm running with no muffler now because of my long arm kit and it doesn't sound too obnoxious, but it's starting to get a little annoying. I still have the CAT and I just had it smogged last month with no problems. Before the long arm kit I a Borla cat-back exhaust + Borla headers on a 4.0. It sounded just right......kind of miss it now.

Back