Key to vehicle malfunction

psoup04

Hi,
When I press unlock, the 2011 Jeep Wrangler Sport doesn't respond. The battery in the key is good. How can I fix this please? If I use the key in the lock to unlock it, the alarm sounds until I get the key into the ignition.

Thanks,
Paula

You need to code the key to the jeep. I wonder if the new ones can be done like back in the day. Hold on, I will google

Get the remote checked. Either a loose battery terminal or an internal failure is evident in the remote circuit. A dealer can try to reprogram the key and if that doesn't work, it will need replacement.

Sent from my iPad using Jeepz

I went to a locksmith and he tested the battery. It is fine. Then he thought the contacts inside the key were not making contact. He tested the key for a signal and said he got a signal, but it doesn't work on the Jeep.

He said to take it to the Jeep dealer and ask for a diagnostic. He then said to ask them if they would price match, as his price would be $55.

The dealer was a pia. Said it would cost between one and one and a half hours' work, from $45 to $95 and if the something-or-other needed replacing that would be extra. They wrote up a slip and even asked me where I had bought it. That annoyed me and I said, "I don't know.:)" None of their business as far as I'm concerned.

Now I wonder whether I should take it to a smaller dealer. What do you think, my Jeep friends?

A competent locksmith can sometimes program these newer Remotes on CAN bus communication systems. Even if the remote is still sending out a signal , it doesn't necessarily mean its still good. In most cases from my experience, if the wireless control module ( WCM) will not recognize the code of the FOB after attempting to reprogram it, it's never going to work . Replacement is the only option after that. FYI, the process of programming a key or a fob requires a PIN code from Chrysler therefore is usually suggested to be brought to a dealer.

Sent from my iPad using Jeepz

Back