needing a steering column

WistfulSine398

I am looking for a steering column from any model of vehicle that can fit an 81 CJ7 4 speed. I live in a small town of Jefferson County in Pa. I would like to know what kind would fit or a cheap hand-me-down real cheap if in full part.

Pretty much any GM car/truck column. Jeep used GM columns, but the fitting on the steering hoses changed from a standard flared fitting to O'ring fittings in 1980, I believe the spline count on the steering boxes are different between power and manual also, so get the appropriate column. The hoses and spline count on the intermediate shaft to the box can be changed but would be less trouble if correct to start with. I would look for a column from a GM truck or any jeep vehicle from 1981 or newer.

I am told that any of the J10 or early wagoneer columns will fit, but I've yet to confirm it myself. If you're not looking for the tilt option they be had fairly cheep on ebay.

Id can, yes the j10 or wagoner column should work. Jeep used steering boxes with two spline counts that I am aware of, I believe one was 36 spline and the other like 32 I think, so you may need to swap intermediate shafts or have the splined end changed. The column itself should work fine, It is a GM column.

I have a spare. I have no idea if it will work in yours.
Mine came out of my 78 CJ5, no power steering. It is in need of a new of rebuilding.
It is free to anyone who needs it.
I'm sure some of the people on this site know if it would work for you.
Let me know if you want a picture of it.

A 78 cj column should work just fine. You will probably need to use your existing shaft from the column to the box, other than that it should work, the plugs under the column should be the same as well. The only diff between the power and manual columns is the spline on the intermediate shafts for the diff spline count between power and manual boxes, the actual columns are the same.

Took a picture with a tape measure beside it.
Hopefully this will help.
If you can use it, I'll be glad to ship it to you.
It does have play in the knuckle joint, not real bad. The guy I bought my Jeep from, already had a real good spare, so I stuck it on.

Attachments

• DSC00708.JPG
    DSC00708.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 23
As 69JeepCJ noted, they can be interchanged from any 76-86 CJ series vehicle as long as it's one for one as a manual or auto trans (even then a auto column can be made to work on the manual). The only difference in the basic column will be the lower coupling which is different for P/S or manual steering. This part is relatively easy to find. A column from a J10 / J20 will work but it will be slightly longer than a CJ column into the drivers area.

AMC era Jeeps used a Sagnaw steering column (subsidary of GM) If a CJ column is not available for the swap (which will be the easiest to do) The columns from a mid 70's "A" body GM car will work (Firebird, Camero, GTO, Chevelle. etc.). Another good swap is the Column from a early S10 pick-up. You can even swap in a Chysler era column from a Wrangler but the intermedate shaft coupling will need to be adp. from a "DD" (Chysler style) to the GM spline shaft. Not hard to do, but must be done correctly. If you are going that route, let me know and I can give you move insight. If you have fabbing skills, I have seen a couple really nice XJ (Cheerokee) swaps done.

Back