Gas Mileage!

TWoodJeepin

Is there anything at all I can do to improve my gas mileage enough that it will be noticeable? It's a 98 tj 4banger with 33s and 4" suspension lift. At around 12-13 mpg but I feel like someway it could be better. I get around 140-150 to a tank now and it only takes about $30-$35 to fill up. What can I do?

I cant really help with your milage and Im not sure of the wranglers and tj,s, but a lot of the cj,s got a 11 gallon gas tank, that's not much compared to most cars and trucks. my current jeep has that or it may even be ten gallon. At $4 a gallon, a $30-$35 fill up is only 8 or so gallons which would make me think your tank is a 11 gallon tank. You will be getting gas more than most people If that is the case. The bigger tires on your jeep is taking away from your gearing, and makes the engine work harder to go. You can do the cold air filters, better flowing exhaust and get a slight improvement, but many have said the price isn't worth the improvement. Regearing your axles Is about the only thing you could do that I can think of and im not sure HOW much it would improve milage.. Cost is the major issue here, last time I check into it, a front and rear gear change was around $1000 parts and labor.

Typical mpg for yours is 15/17mpg adding the lift and larger tires will detract from that. I spent some $$ on improvements and the only one with a noticeable improvement was an e-fan. I had monitored mpg after each mod and most did very little. Here are some other suggestions.

Gearing for off road torque goes against mpg. There is also being geared too high that will cause issues as well.

Be sure you corrected your speedo and it is correct. This could give false info for your calculations. I used hiway mile markers over several miles to validate the odometer was correct.

Calculate correctly by filling and driving until on or below E. then use the odometer delta devised by the fuel it takes to completely fill up.

Monitor mpg by where you buy gas. I noted some stations have better mpg than others. May be due to the percent ethanol or accuracy of the pump.

Do not go over 65 mph. And cut out jackrabbit starts. These driving habits make a world of difference.

Tune the engine. Make sure your TB and IAC are clean. Battery is charged and terminals are clean. Include the opposite ends of the ground cables in the cleaning. Inspect wires and spark plugs. Use the correct plugs gapped correctly. For you single platinum, double platinum or iridium plugs will work. Clean injectors and eliminate any vacuum leaks. Change your transmission fluid if you haven't. Also verify your o2 sensors are working and CAT I'd not blocked or damaged.

Make sure your tires are the correct pressure , balanced and aligned. Another big killers are these.

Inspect drivetrain components, Ujoints bad pinion angles... Axel joints and other items.

Is there anything at all I can do to improve my gas mileage enough that it will be noticeable? It's a 98 tj 4banger with 33s and 4" suspension lift. At around 12-13 mpg but I feel like someway it could be better. I get around 140-150 to a tank now and it only takes about $30-$35 to fill up. What can I do?

It's a Jeep. Fuel economy isn't the best for them. 12-13 MPG isn't great but you can do a few things to improve the gas mileage.
When you went to bigger tires did you change the spedo gear in the transfer case to match your gear ratio and tire size? This will bring your mileage back to pretty damn close to factory specs.
Being that you have a 4 banger like mine with the 4.11 gear ratio, changing to the right speedo gear made a huge improvement in fuel economy. I went from 13 combined to 15/16 combined and it there are no hills involved I sometimes can get it up to 17/18 but rarely. 1/2 tank fill up around 25.00 as of yesterday @3.55/gallon.
Change your injectors to the Ford Bosch EV-1 type III injectors out of a 7.5 big block or a Mustang 5.0. This will give you more power and slightly better fuel economy but nothing to right home about. These are the numbers for the injetors.
Bosch reman number 0280150947
Ford part number FiTE-D58
Blue top EV-1 Series III
you can find them on Ebay as I got mine for 27.00 per injetor with 8.00 shipping.
Put the Throttle Body out of a Jeep with the 4.0 engine. Do this and change over all from your 2.5 TB to the 4.0 TB or it will peg the tach as the computer will read it wrong.
Air induction and exhaust. Get a high flow exhaust and a cold air induction as this will help some what with the power end.
Cooling Fan, There is a question weather to go electric or go flex-a-lite fan. to me either one will work as the flex-a-lite will flex sending more air the faster the engine revs but the electric fan restores some power to the engine as it doesn't have to work as hard.
Then there is every ones favorite. Re-gearing to 4.88. as this will give you more power and make your Jeep roll faster. This isn't cheap either.

The thing about fuel economy is this, there is always a trade off and having been in the engineer field working with fuels for over 20 years, there isn't much you can do to increase fuel economy. People think that chips and the what not can do this but there is no chip to improve fuel economy for a 4 banger and it's a waste of money. Gain power in the 4 banger. The more power you have the less likely you will step on that little skinny pedal.

In my opinion the transmissions for the 4 bangers were geared wrong especially the 5 speed as it should have been geared lower so that 5th gear should have really been the 4th gear or just eliminate the 5th gear altogether. Hills are a ***** 3rd gear at 3 grand on the tach not a way to drive a stick. I have no experience with the auto in a 4 banger so someone will have to help you on that one.
Hope this helps somewhat.

I've done all the above and found little to no gain. Especially in the intake TB and exhaust. Lots of $$ for almost no gain. Gain is only in the high RPM (>3500rpm) range.
I'm don't want to see anyone waiting $$ on no payback items.

The e-fan removes the constant load on the engine through the full range. As long as you are moving above 35 mph the air naturally forced through the radiator cools the fluid enough that the fan doesn't kick on. If your mostly wheeling none of this matters.

How far off is your Speedo with the 33's? Have you regeared or replaced the Speedo gear? If not you are traveling further than you think. So your mpg isn't as bad as you link.

Maybe I need to do that. Up to 35 it's close but after that 40 is 45 and so on until it's about 10 off. How many teeth do I need on the new speedo gear. I have 33s and I'm pretty sure 4.11s now so how many teeth?

I close enough I think. My jeep came with 4.88 in the rear and 4.89 in the front, I thought something was not right, nope.. came that way from factory. Yours may be similar with 410 rear and 4.11 front??

I noted some stations have better mpg than others. May be due to the percent ethanol or accuracy of the pump.
I thought the gov't regulated, monitored, and inspected stations to ensure that their pumps are in good working order and gas mixtures are accurate.

I thought the gov't regulated, monitored, and inspected stations to ensure that their pumps are in good working order and gas mixtures are accurate.

They do that doesn't mean it's is always correct. A friend/co worker noted the difference and reported it. He was correct even though the pumps were inspected a month earlier.

Back