Runnin 35's on a 2.5

Jeepzink

I'm am new to the jeep world, first to admit. I'm also new to upgrading, and modding vehicles in general. I have been reading some forum posts about this exact topic but I still couldn't get a real definite answer. I have a 95 4cyl, manual trans, running 35s. It runs fine if I'm on flat ground, but I live in Tennessee and I do a fair amount of highway driving. I'd like at least 65 on the highway and I'd like a little bit of power when I'm on hills, mud, trails, etc. I've been seeing a lot of "4.56 or 4.88" . Who thinks what? Doesn't seem like I've been getting a straight forward answer! Thanks a lot guys

Kyle

Running 35s on a 4 banger, I'd say go with the 4.88s... I have an 05 4.0 with 33s and auto trans & I'm going to 4.88s sooner than later

4:88's are optimal for 33's with the 2.5 manual, and thats as low as you can go anyway... you'll be fine IMO

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Jeepz

I have an 89 YJ with the mighty 4 banger on 35s. I run 5.13s in aftermarket (junkyard) axles. It does OK here in Colorado, but I am always in the slow lane and at times being passed by truckers. But that being said, the engine is near bullet proof and like the enegizer bunny, it keeps going and going and going....

Bacon

If you're running stock axles 4.88 is the tallest you can go though

You might want to drop down to 33's. Yeah, the 35's look great, but the 2.5L will struggle translating its torque. Look at your RPM in various gears with the set up you have now. Then go to the charts and see what the RPM will be if you changed to 33's. By dropping 2" on the tires, you in essence do the same thing a gear job will give you, and with less stress on the axle. Cruise should improve too as you will likely put the RPM back into the fuel efficient band rather than lugging from the tall tires.

4.88 is the best option in the stock axles, I run the same drivetrain and 5.38 gears with 35" tires. The 5.38 work very well for that tire size but require upgrading to Dana 44 axles. Not too difficult with a Jeep Wagoneer front and Isuzu Rodeo rear and running 6-lug wheels.

Thanks a lot all of you! I'm a tard, though. They are 33's. Nevertheless same applies to the 33's. Y'all have been a huge help. Sounds like I'm going to 4.88 :)

Back