Front slip yolk coming out???

Dirty-Jeep-Girl

Hey everyone!! Been a while since I was here...sorry. But I need some help. I've been running my Jeep the same way for almost 5 years and now, this spring I break it out of storage only to find a horrible bird/screeching sound from my front drive shaft. It looks like my slip yolk is coming out??!! What would cause this after no problems for so long??

Any help is appreciated! Thanks!!

What year and model Jeep?

Can you post a pic of how your slipyoke is coming apart? Is it in the middle of the driveshaft or attached to one end?

Hey Bounty hunter. Its a 2001 TJ.

ForumRunner_20140511_111709.png

I cant grease it that I know of....I dont see any zurt on the u-joint. Is there a place I dont know about?

That appears normal, although it could use some grease. The horrible screaching is likely the CV joint (double-cardan joint) at the upper end of your front driveshaft. It has a centering ball between the two ujoints that goes dry. You can try greasing it with a needle fitting on a grease gun.

The centering ball is serviceable and available at most parts stores. Wouldn't be a bad idea to take the front driveshaft out until you can have it serviced by a driveshaft shop.

Left unchecked the joint will explode and take out your transfer case with it. Get it fixed asap.

It appears the grease seal is missing from the slip yoke. Might not be a bad idea like bounty_hunter said to have the shaft serviced . The internal splines are sure to dirty and probably corroded. Sure hope the splines are ok :???: there is supposed to be a zerk on the slip yoke.

Last edited:

Thanks!! You guys rock! Will check all this weekend. The weather is too crappy this week...rain, and I have no garage. Luckily I got a second vehicle so its parked.

Ok brought the Jeep into the garage today...I couldnt get the diff off myself. Both my guys are kinda in shock as to whymy slip yoke is the way it is. Its at the shop so Ill fi d out wtf is going on probably tomorrow. Keeping fingers crossed.

Ok well here is the verdict....I need a whole new drive shaft....im gonna get more details when I bring the Jeep in. But now my problem...do I go with a Tom Wood or a Spicer?? Same price.

And can someone please tell me the difference? Because from what I can find they are both brand names. But basically are the same.

Last edited:
Tom wood's all the way. The difference would be the overall quality of the product as well as the ujoints used. Tw shafts use gold seal joints with brass bushings as opposed to needle bearings. Also it has a lifetime warranty, including the u joints.

Tom woods has a 6mo warranty and Spicer ??? Couldn't find it easily. If you have greater than 3 in of lift a Tom woods double cardan shaft will work great.

Nothing but good to say about the Tom Woods. The Spicers have been hit or miss and at least 2 showed up at the old shop with "Made in China" on the box so I sent them back.

I have a 4" lift only...and Im happy with my decision. My Jeep will be trail ready in a week. And if anything happens to the Spicer..next time Ill buy a Woody! ;)

Back