Front slip yolk coming out???

Ok new drive shaft is now on!! What they said was....I was missing all the seals so everything and anything ruined the splins. As to why it was "slipping" out with only a 4" lift they still dont understand. Right now I could care a less why?? BECAUSE THE STUPID BIRD IS STILL THERE!! I really could use your help on this guys.....why?? Why oh why is that noise not gone!!??!!??

Last edited:
He he....forgot the pics!!

ForumRunner_20140606_193118.png

ForumRunner_20140606_193129.png

rusty axle joints? Spray with PB'Laster and see if the bird flies away for awhile (did on mine last year)

X2 . If that drive shaft was in such a state of repair, the axle joints can't be any better. Like Carnuck said , give them a squirt and see if they quiet down . If so , be prepared that you may be pullin' the shafts for u-joint replacement. Those little u-joints have no zerk fittings so they don't get greased . Probably shot , it's typical. You don't need theses blowin' up on ya. Change em' out. You'll be happy you did. Axle fluid ought to be checked if contaminated or at least low.
Hope the carrier bearing no problem. Not wishing that on ya.

What about wheel bearings?

You could check the axel joints by twisting the shaft or tier and looking for any play in the joint. Any play is bad.

Ok....we here up North call them just ujoints...I got new ujoint on each front tire and complete new drive shaft joints and all. 4 new ball joints and 4 new tie rods.....wheels balanced with beads and laser aligned. But I dont know if my transfer case is full. Oh and there is no play at all in my shaft.

I'm beginning to see why the frustration exists. Virtually all new up front and the Angry Birds are still abound. To date , no one is able to nail down where the sound originates as opposed to what may be the perpetrator ( front diff or t-case). So , there is no chance that this is caused by the front hub bearings ? Don't know if they were changed. If this noise starts from when to brake is released and continues , with the engine off and front on jack stands , try spinning the wheels with t-case engaged to simulate under load . If this does not produce the noise your hearing , the only safe way would be to run the jeep on a dyno table ( on rollers like a diagnostic run) to be able to have a tech standinding near to isolate where is the noise from. I won't just say its a bearing , but need to be sure . BTW , yes , the t-case and front diff needs to be attended to first before going on. Hoping all is well inside of them .

Does the noise go with engine RPM, road speed or bumps?

Greg....ya Im kinda scared about it being my front diff. I was working on the body over the weekend rubbed my arm in grease...well what I thought was grease from my tie rods, it was diff oil. Upon further inspection. .. oil in my skid plate. ..oil all over the control arm above. Could this be caused just by low diff oil?? Or its been too low for too long and now I got some broken teeth?

Well , let's not jump to conclusion until the front diff inspection cover has been removed and you can get a good look at the ring and pinion but especially the spider gears ( side and cluster gears ) . Are you able to tell if the pinion seal is where the leak originates ? I know you'll want to give the drive shaft a turn to see the gears in action and see if the pinion turns true or is turning off center due to worn bearings . Once the front cover is off , you will be able to determine wear or damage. Crossing my fingers for you as I know the new driveshaft set you back some$$.

Thank you Greg!! Cant help but jumping...am by nature paranoid ;)
Ok am gonna look into everything you said...ie. Exactly what the job entails... see if Im capable and equipped to do it myself...if not another trip to the garage. :(

When you had the front drive shaft off did you ever grab the yoke on the front diff to see of it had any play? Pop the drive shaft off the axle and check that, also make sure you have fluid in both the front diff and t-case.

Thank you Greg!! Cant help but jumping...am by nature paranoid ;) Ok am gonna look into everything you said...ie. Exactly what the job entails... see if Im capable and equipped to do it myself...if not another trip to the garage. :(
Your most welcome . You won't have much trouble getting the front cover off , you'll probably have to pry it once the bolts are out. The factory uses silicone instead of gaskets when they close it up to avoid leaks so you'll need to get some black RTV to put it back on. As Eric m. said , it was a good time when the drive shaft was off to grab the pinion yoke to feel if any play existed but not too late if you don't mind pulling down just the front drive shaft joint when the inspection cover is off. It will help take the resistance off the pinion bearings so you may feel the pinion shaft movement better if excess play exists. Still curious about that squeeling , but hope all is ok. Got a real nice jeep , but whatever it needs , I know it will be worth the time and money. Sorry about the down time and the expense . Should also mention that you'll want to be sure the pinion bearing as well as the diff case bearings roll smooth . Since there is noise , we want to be sure that a bearing did not go bad due to poor lube and isn't spinning true.

Last edited:
Back