Motor swap

bigschrec

Sorry to ask another question. I was wondering how long and hard if would be to put a ford small block V8 in my 97 wrangler or a 6 valve cummins diesel. Sometime down the road I want to give my Jeep some more power and would love a diesel but also would settle for a V8. I also know I need a new transmission to go with them but I'm not sure which would be the best. Thanks

A V8 swap, all said and done properly by someone who knows what they are doing should require about 16 hours of actual labor.

Not sure what a 6 valve is, so I assume you mean 12 valve 6bt w/ turbo and IC. This swap is a major project. I have seen one in a YJ chassis and it was beyond labor intensive. The swap will require some serious frame, firewall, tub mods just to start. I would estimate about 40 hours of labor, and I really am just guessing.

You can find a 4bt with is basically a inline 4cyl cummins, little easier to package, but will still require extensive labor.

Depends on the motor and how good are you are wiring.

The questions you are asking ultimately rely on the person doing the works abilities, amount of time researching, and time planning in advance.

If I am working with a carbed motor, I can have that wired in less than an hour to get it running and all gauges working.
If I need to pin out a harness for an LS style motor and mate it to a stock 4.0 wiring to get the two factory systems to talk with each other, or at least operate independently but simultaneously, I would could spend up to 10 hours. Most of which is reading FSM and chasing wires to pins.

Personally for me, if I am swapping a motor for offroad use, I will not remove a EFI motor to swap in a carb with the amount of off camber and steep hill climbs in my area. I can save a metric crap ton of time by buying a pre-made harness, but it will cost me anywhere from $500-1000 (depending on motor and options and ECM flash).

Another option is to go with propane LPG which you basically swap the carb for a propane hat.

Alright I'll check it out. Thanks for the info I appreciate it.

Back