How do I wire a 03 jeep Cherokee Motor (fuel injection) in to 86 jeep cj 7

James111

Just bought this project Jeep 1986 CJ 7 has a 2003 Cherokee 6cl fuel injection motor installed

But no wiring has been done they remove old 4cl carburetor motor

Where can I find info on how to wire up ( Has all the Cherokee wiring and computer )

Thanks Jim

Hi James . Welcome to Jeepz.com . That will be a nice project . Many pluses to updating to fuel injection like no more carburetor float bowl slosh up,or down hill off road and fuel economy should pick up some. I tried searching on line if Moses Ludel ( premier author and mechanic of CJ's ) had any publications for such a project but could not find something appropriate.
There certainly will be publications to this effect but Moses Ludel just came to mind.
i personally feel a FSM ( factory service manual ) will be helpful. Incidentally , the cherokee was last produced in 2001 , is it possible this engine , PCM and harness is out of a TJ or a Grand Cherokee ? Need to be sure to obtain the right manual . You want to get the correct nomenclature for the correct emmissions , accessories and engine management in general.
Just looking at the engine and examining the harness will help you find the right plugs that match where they go , I.E. , alternator , a/c , power steering pressure switch , knock sensor , cam , crank sensor , TPS , idle speed control , PCM , O2 & PCM grounds , coolant temp ( gauge & PCM) , MAT and MAP sensors , you get the idea . If you can lay out the harness on the engine and connect it entirely , you'll just need to mount the PCM ( firewall most likely) . Also , 2003 most likely dosen't have a distributor on and of this model year so you'll want to be sure of wiring for certain. Was a PDC ( power distribution center ) included ? Fuel pump relay , ignition , electric fan , etc. Found in there. Don't let this be intimidating or daunting and deter you from it , little by little you'll piece the puzzle together. A good reference ( maybe the best ) is another 2003 as you can model your engine compartment after it even though a CJ and a TJ or G.C. is different.
Youll find that the ignition may need to be upgraded as there will be differences from ECM to PCM and power distribution center being added and the ignition system is different .
This is just food for thought and a 2003 for your perusal will benefit greatly but most important , a 2003 FSJ will greatly be an accet . If there is anything needed for this project , the manual will have it to show you. Wiring diagrams can be confusing but keep it simple and start from the engine and work your way out and it will soon be aparant what is needed. The more you successfully assemble , the less confusing it will be and you'll be able to stay on the right track turning pages in the manual. There will be differences along the way such as column ignition switch for example but you should be able to mount and adapt what is needed.
Hope this helps point you in the right direction . Just think of it as removing an engine and wiring from its native place and transplanting it to another piece of sheet metal. Granted , easier said than done , but if one does not complicate this task any more than this , it just becomes a matter of where and how to mount something. But I thing you'll find that it's not all that different.
the only thing I cannot be sure on at this time is the ignition switch , it's difference and it's mounting. Another 2003 or so model will be helpful there. Hope this helps . Greg

Does you new motor have a distributor?

If it does, most likely did not come from a 03 and I would suggest wiring it up as if it was a 92-95 YJ using that vehicles ECM and ODBI system. then you won't have to worry about evap, down stream O2 and all that junk.

If is does not have a distributor and is coil on plug ingition, you will need everything from a 03+ TJ or Grand to get it to work. For simplicity, get the guage cluster, EMC, fuse block and bulk head, all the wiring for the motor and the body. from there you will have to remove the curcuits yo do not need or want.

Back