Charging system issues

camonutt

I was wondering if there is anyone out there that could give me some advice? I am having charging issues replaced the alternator. Tested battery replaced a blown 50 amp fuse a couple times. This is what's going on my fuel tank gauge will only go down to half a tank. So thinking I'm out of gas I put 2 1/2 gallons in it try to start and it won't. The only way I can get it to start is being towed behind an vehicle and jump starting it. It doesn't do this all the time .You could go weeks without a issue. I have filled the jeep with fuel driven maybe 10 miles and it dies I have toget towed and jump started and the electric gauge is going down blows the fuse and I have to change it out the 50 amp fuse again. Now I have taken a new battery to put in it. Electric gauge shows that it's draining. I don't know why my oil gauge, temp gauge don't work all the time. It weird as hell. Anyone have any ideas. I'm on a really fixed income I have changed fuel filter. Thank you. John from Canaan Maine

Year and model?

Any vehicle could always use a good cleaning of battery terminals, connectors and the other side of the grounds. There should be two or three. Battery to chassis nd battery to engine. There may be a ground to frame as well. A good sanding/polishing is all that is needed.
Second check if you have a check engine light. The year and mod will help determine how to get the codes behind the cel.
When you say you see the battery draining, please explain how you are measuring the change. External voltmeter or the gage on the dash? With engine running ou should read 14.4 and engine off 12.6 volts. If it is draining you could use the DMM to measure current draw by measuring with engine off, the current between the negative terminal nd the negative connector. You should see less than 50ma. If its more start pulling one fuse at a time until you see it drop to less than 100 mA.

Report back

Also the ckp that is a crank position sensor can go bad without a cel and sometimes work.

I don't live too far from you. If your rig is pre computer, I may be able to help. PM me your address and i'll try to find some time, Between working on my rig, Rebuilding the engine on my tractor and the honey do list., to take a look at it. The fact that it will go weeks without a problem is going to make it hard to find.

Sounds like maybe an electric fuel pump that is shorting out? If it has a hitch, check the trailer wiring.

Back