Jk starting on it's own?

Tarahstroh

I recently just bought a 2007 wrangler, I've only had it for about two weeks. Today I parked it in my driveway, shut it off, and took the keys out of the ignition. A few minutes later, it started up, on it's own, without any keys at all. Could this be a problem or is it normal and has auto start or something?

That is not normal for any vehicle. Check or have someone check if it has a remote starter. If it does learn how to use it and check the batteries. If not check the ignition switch.

I don't know anything about model year 2007, but I had a recall on my 93 YJ for that very reason. It seems the starter solenoid and wires were positioned in a manner that allowed road gunk and debris to collect and build up between the solenoid terminals. This created a possibility of a connection that would jump the solenoid and start the engine. Chrysler just replaced the starter solenoid with a different design.

I've noticed it only starts alone when it's it's extremely hot out, like 90 plus degrees. Did yours do the same?

You didn't happen to push your lock button on your remote a bunch of times in a row? I've read a couple of threads about a remote starter that uses your factory remote to start your Jeep. If you push the lock button on the remote 3 times in a row it will start your vehicle. Maybe you have a remote starter installed by the previous owners and they forgot to tell you.

You didn't happen to push your lock button on your remote a bunch of times in a row? I've read a couple of threads about a remote starter that uses your factory remote to start your Jeep. If you push the lock button on the remote 3 times in a row it will start your vehicle. Maybe you have a remote starter installed by the previous owners and they forgot to tell you.

Thank you!! I tried this and it turns out this was exactly what was happening!

I had a Ford Pickup parked under a huge Oak tree that took a lightning strike and it caused a surge to the boards in the stereo and alarm module. Every time the cabin pressure would fluctuate in the truck (mid day heating or late night cooling), the auto-start would engage and crank up the "magic truck". While it was great entertainment for my 5 year old, I Couldn't ever sleep well because i kept waking up thinking someone was stealing my truck! Finally, one day it engaged the starter while i was doing 85 down I-4 by Disney, So i pulled over, popped off the positive battery cable and ripped the whole alarm module out from under the dashboard and tossed it into the foliage. Surprisingly, The only wrong all along was that it just needed a "bushing", because never did it again.

Back