2000 Jeep Wrangler 4.0 / 6 cyl Auto

singer10

Guys, I need your help !
My 2000 Cherokee 4.0 / 6cyl was up on a ramp for an oil change for no more than three days.
After oil change and down from ramps the engine would not start and after a rough start - it would not
accelerate and engine would come to a stop. The trans sync device was recently replaced. Any suggestions.
Oil press gauge reads 80 ! and speedometer reeves even while at idle !

How is the battery? With it up on ramps did you leave the hood up with the hood light on?
Verify your battery is 12.6 V and has good cranking current. Clean all terminals and connectors. Include cleaning the ground wire ends at the block and body.

Last edited:
Battery has been very strong ! Cranking an engine takes alot yet when it does start I let it
idle for some time before shutting her down. While it will idle smoothly, it shuts down the
minute I put any strain on the vehicle ( like trying to move it forwards or backwards.
I really wish to thank you for the reply - no one has been here except you ! R. Singer

JpNinPa --- also of note ! The speedometer goes up each time the engine is slightly accelerated
eventhough the vehicle isn't moving - yes, the speedometer and not the tach !. Is this a symptom ?

Do you have a SYE? I hear the SYE retaining nut is an issue and may need to be shimmed or replaced.

Speedo gear worn or not properly installed.

Last edited:
Thanks for your question - what's a transmission syn device ? If you don't know what this is,
sorry ---- you're not qualified to help with the stalling 2000 Jeep. Thanks anyway for your
attempt to assist !

Thanks for your question - what's a transmission syn device ? If you don't know what this is,
sorry ---- you're not qualified to help with the stalling 2000 Jeep. Thanks anyway for your
attempt to assist !

Bounty's not qualified to assist??!?!?! You're new here, aren't you?

Do you mean the VSS? The wrong one would mess things up. Did anyone loosen the ground cable on the block?

I will check the ground cable on the block and elsewhere ! Thank you ! Roberte
Back to the trans sync --- sorry for being so abrubt, just lost it as this is the very device
that often fails on Jeeps.....

Back to the trans sync --- sorry for being so abrubt, just lost it as this is the very device
that often fails on Jeeps.....
You've yet to refer to it by it's proper name or otherwise describe it. And abrupt you were :)

First time I also hear of the trans sync device... If I were you, I'd start describing what you mean by this, as I am pretty sure it is not the name Jeep uses (hence, not the name we know that part by).

Now, going back to basics, only 3 things can keep an engine from stalling (excluding the battery, which you already said was fine). Fuel (check pressure; easy to do), spark (also easy to check with a tester or a screwdriver on the plug wire), or air (check your filter). Of course, it could be something more complicated, but, considering the engine was running before, my bet is either fuel or spark (fuel gunk can cause wonders!).

jfrabat,

Thank you and especially as a senior member ! If you'll look up transmission syncronizing device ( crank sensor on transmission CSS 638 )
- you'll find it right on top of the list for hesitation, mis-firing, timing, etc since vehicle without a rotor and points rely on this
to time the the sequencing of the engine. Now to check on the pressure and fuel lines - although clear three weeks ago when the sensor
was changed ! Robert

Oh the Crank Position Sensor is the mysterious part you speak of. Still not sure what it has to do with the transmission, other than it mounts in the bellhousing. It certainly doesn't 'sync' anything in the transmission or between the transmission and another device.

I'll go back to not being qualified again now. Good luck :D

Hey Man..... Don't be difficult, they are new the Jeep world......... Just saying. Maybe they are form a different part of the world.

Yo, different part of the world ? That very sensor determines the lead firing order of the engine by
'seeing ' a mark on the flywheel and without it nothing works ( it is the 'electronic' rotor and points of the past )
Now, please get back to my problem ! I have a 2000 Jeep that starts but stalls when put into drive or reverse !
Thank you Police Monkey161 & Bounty_Hunter

Ok.... Now I'll just join Bounty_Hunter as not "qualified". Best of luck Sir.

I had a similar problem on 1997 with manual Trans. Turned out the bolts had backed out of the flywheel and was causing erratic readings by the crank positioning Sensor. Tighten up bolts but too late flywheel was warped. Replaced entire clutch and fixed the problem. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Man, you come on here looking for help and when it is offered (by very qualified people, just so you know) you dismiss their qualification because they question the name of the part you referred to. Most auto communities call several parts different names and before anyone can help they need to know exactly what they are fixing. You are new here, and just a suggestion, but you may want to be a bit more polite to those trying to help you. As said above good luck

Just saying ! I have taken everyone's advice and it was the 'different part of the World' that re-tuned
my response especially since Senior mechanics would know what a transmission crank position sensor is !
I will take a look at the flywheel bolts Nitpky = Thank you very much for a suggestion.

Back