CJ Seatbelt Question

CynthiaJane7

I'm in the final legs of a restoration of my 1980 CJ7 and we have no traces of what type of seat belts was in it, and what is original. I also do not see where I would mount them. Any help or opinions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks Guys!

I think it all depends on what roll bar you have. I have had 77-79 jeeps that had 3-point shoulder strap belts and I have had jeep of the same years have just lap belts. Somewhere in late 70,s early 80,s (I used to know) jeep switched types of roll bars, the earlier style just sat, and bolted on top of the rear fender well and the lap belt was bolted to the seat mount bolts. The later style of roll bar, just the back portion sat on top of the rear fender well, and the front down bar ran in front of the fender well and mounted to the floor. The one that go,s to the floor should have previsions for mounting a 3-point belt, the other style you have to decide where and how to mount the 3-point belts on your own

There is no holes or anything in my roll bar, it sits on the back fender wells. I assumed it was lap belts but it was my dads jeep originally years ago (like late 80's early 90's) and he thought it had three points but he has also had multiple jeeps and wasn't positive if it was that jeep or not. The seat belts that was in it are MIA. I want to try to keep most of the jeep original as possible. Its been in the family a long time. A lot of memories in her. I guess its going to come down to choice and if I want to drill through the roll bar.

Back