yj compatible transfer cases?

bogi

My transfer case is bad. I took it apart and one of the forks is worn and broken, also the teeth on one of the gears.
I have found a few np 231 cases, one out of a 1990 4 cyl manual wrangler, one out of a tj, some Cherokee..etc on craigslist and Facebook.my question is which are compatible as bolt ins for my jeep?
I could buy one and cannibalize it to rebuild mine but it would be much easier to just bolt a new one in.
I've read that the input spline count varies and just wondering how much difference there is between years and models.

95 wrangler 4 cyl 5 speed.
Thank you in advance.

Variations include input spline count, input length, input bearing width, output seal type, output length, vacuum switch v/ light switch, front yoke type. Then there are internal variations that won't prevent you from bolting one in but will make a difference in strength.

If you want to be sure it'll bolt in make sure it's from a '87-'95 YJ 2.5L 5spd. Otherwise you can get the parts from almost any 231J and make yours work.

I rebuild 231's all the time and can help you along the way.

Thank you! Got it replaced and it seems to be working fine.Will be running it at the orv park tomorrow.

Back