Brake Booster Push Rod to Brake Pedal Help

dennisonwj

1988 Jeep Wrangler YJ Laredo, 4.2L, manual transmission

I am switching out my brake booster with a new one. I am disconnecting the booster push rod to brake pedal connection under the dash. I am using a Haynes manual and they make a statement about how the assembly should be connected that is contrary to what I see under my dash, and I want to make sure I have it right.

The following perspective is from you siting in the front seat looking out the windshield. At the moment I have a bolt passing from right to left though the assembly. From right to left, it goes bolt head, some bushings, brake activation sensor, bushings, booster push rod, brake pedal arm, 2 lock nuts.

The Hanynes manual kinda infers that the booster push rod should be connected to the left of the brake pedal arm. I do not know if they are referring to automatic transmission jeeps or ALL jeeps. Could someone please verify if my setup above is right to the Haynes manual?

- Thanks

Hi Dennis,

I'm tring to picture what your referring too. Are talking about connecting the round "eyelet" of the brake booster to the brake pedal itself? If so, the haynes manual would be correct if you have an OEM pedal group assm. I have both auto and manual trans setups in my shop and they they do not differ other than the auto setup is missing the clutch pedal and has a larger brake foot pad. The stud to attach the brake booster or master cylinder push rod (for manual brakes) is pressed into the pedal arm from left to right.

Again, just by thinking of what you are discribing, it is possible that someone remove the OEM stud and pressed it in backwards. But I would think that your pedal to rod alingement would be off during the braking stroke? Does your pedal group look like this:

$(KGrHqJ,!ioFCntgHlJcBQ9sKmyIGg~~60_57.jpg

Attachments

• $(KGrHqJ,!ioFCntgHlJcBQ9sKmyIGg~~60_14.jpg
    $(KGrHqJ,!ioFCntgHlJcBQ9sKmyIGg~~60_14.jpg
    1.1 KB · Views: 2,169
Hi Dennis,

I'm tring to picture what your referring too. Are talking about connecting the round "eyelet" of the brake booster to the brake pedal itself? If so, the haynes manual would be correct if you have an OEM pedal group assm. I have both auto and manual trans setups in my shop and they they do not differ other than the auto setup is missing the clutch pedal and has a larger brake foot pad. The stud to attach the brake booster or master cylinder push rod (for manual brakes) is pressed into the pedal arm from left to right.

Again, just by thinking of what you are discribing, it is possible that someone remove the OEM stud and pressed it in backwards. But I would think that your pedal to rod alingement would be off during the braking stroke? Does your pedal group look like this:

View attachment 19862

My pedal group on the 88 wrangler looks NOTHING like that. Mine looks like this factory schematic that I found. The pin is a threaded bolt that uses a lock washer in the end. The way it was set up prior to me pulling it out, the brake light switch has the push rod eye sandwiched inside it's metal legs. On the manual transmission, the brake light switch is on the right side of the brake pedal arm. It did not bind, worked fine before, just wanted to make sure I was putting back together correctly.

Attachments

• brake_pedal_assembly.jpg
    brake_pedal_assembly.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 25
Back