Can one person move a 2 piece hardtop?

TerryMason

Administrator
Staff member
There's an ad in my local Craig's List for one of those 2 piece hardtops like this:

jeep-full-animated.gif

Is this something that one person can lift / install? I had a full top on my old CJ, and it was really too much for me and my wife to install, mainly because it was just too large and awkward.

I see the shipping weight is 200 lbs, so I'm thinking that it would be a two person job, but you never know...

The "95 YJ that I had ,had a 2 piece hardtop with half doors. The front half was easy & quick to remove & that's how I usually left it. The Back portion of the top was still too awkward for one person to remove or install without risking scratching the Jeep. It was a piece of cake for 2 people.

I installed my'98 factory hardtop on my '05 TJ by myself. I think putting one on might be easier 1 person job than taking one off. Weight wasn't all that much...I'd say maybe 100 lbs but it's more bulky and awkward than heavy. I stood mine on end then stood in it and sort of rolled it up on my shoulders and walked it to the rear of my Jeep. Then got the front edge over the rear-most top cage bar and just slid it forward. Went on easier than I thought it would. But, angles would be different and less accommodating if removing it, so I'd definitely get a helper.

I can install mine by myself, but it is not easy. I rather do it with someone else. But if in a pinch, yeah, it can be done. Mine is a pavement ends brand, by the way, but bestops are MUUUUCH better!

I’m the inventor of RollNJack. Maybe my invention will help solve the problem. www.rollnjack.com Let me know if I can be of any help. I’m always looking for new ideas and better ways to make my product better. Thx

It looks nice, but at $750 it's out of my price range.

Back