CJ roll bar vs YJ family bar...

Tony Marc

So.... I have a 85 CJ to YJ body swap going on. I intend to keep the CJ dash and windshield. Currently I have the original CJ roll bar and I also have the bar that came with the doner YJ.

My question is... Is there a preference as to which one to use. I need to lighten my load and roll bars take up a lot of space. So one has to go. Also for the YJ bar, I do not have the bars that connect to the window frame.

It seems the yj bar is lighter than the CJ. Any benefits ? Just asking before I scrap one of them.

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Jeepz

I like the look of the kid killer roll bar better but the family bars will give you more options if you decide to do a frame less soft top.

So, what year is the YJ doner? I'm guessing it's a 87-90 model that had the Sport Style Rollbar that included spreaders (bars) to the windshield frame (so it basicly looks just like the CJ7 Sport Rollbar but with the spreaders). Or do you have the later YJ rollbar (reffered to as a Family Rollcage) which includes the spreaders but has more of a "cage-like" rear section that would protect passengers in the rear seat? Eitherway, it's a matter of your preference. The family style will offer a little added protect to the folks in the rear, but the speaders (or bar extensions) offer really no added protection, but will help stablize the windshield frame from flexing.

The doner bar was from a 91 YJ. I think what will be the determining factor is how well the CJ bar fits the YJ tub. From what I have seen so far..... The last owner had some questionable mods as well as a rough driving style.
I have no intention on using the spreader bars. If I use the YJ bar, I'll just try and weld something to cover the holes. I appreciate everyone's response. From the pic attached.... I have a long way to go!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Jeepz

Attachments

• image-3011398867.jpg
    image-3011398867.jpg
    638.1 KB · Views: 1,434

I put a YJ tub on my 85 CJ back in the day. The YJ tailgate is more functional, but I did miss the coolness factor of the CJ.

As to the rollbar question, I like the look of the CJ style. I'd imagine the YJ rollbar is safer, but I like the look of the CJ

Back