Cj7 frame help!!!!!

Tony Marc

Ok folks. Need some advice. As I was cleaning up the frame on my cj7, I found this. The pic is of the frame upside down. The spot with the holes is where the sway bar frame mounts connect. On the top you can see what's left of the "nutserts" that hold the bracket to the frame.

The bad part is some of the rot is just behind the front cross member/ power steering brace area. So cutting it out and welding new metal in place will be a challenge. Remember... These pictures were taken with the frame upside down.

Before I waste hours of grinding and $$$$ in coating the inside of the frame rails... As well as fixing snapped bolts and body mounts.... Does this look salvageable ? I don't have a plasma cutter to neatly cut it out. All I have is some die grinders and a small mig welder.

Do I look for a doner frame and cut the front clip off? I'm kind of at a crossroad. Not sure if I should cut my losses and look for a better frame.

Any thought? Suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using Jeepz

Attachments

• image-433865807.jpg
    image-433865807.jpg
    529.4 KB · Views: 617
  • image-191670790.jpg
    image-191670790.jpg
    486.7 KB · Views: 738

It doesn't really look that bad. I would cut off that front xmember from the frame rail, then cut out the inside portion of the frame rail leaving the top and bottom portion of the frame. None of the holes on the inside frame rail are threaded, so get some steel plate and weld in a new front portion of the frame rail and drill your holes..weld your xmember back in. With the capture nuts, the only thing I have done in the past is cut a hole in the frame to fish a wrench up into it and onto the nut, you can weld the hole shut or leave it there.

Last edited:
Back