95 Jeep Wrangler will not start...No Spark??

JavaAllNight

Hello Everyone,
I am new to your forum but from what I have been reading everyone loves their jeeps and are well informed. So, i thought I would pose my problem since I am at the end of my rope....Jeep turns over great but will not start. Gets plenty of fuel so much so you can smell it after turning over the motor 5-7 times in a row. Parts that were replaced..ECU, MAP sensor, O2 (pre Cat) sensor, dist cap, rotor, wires, plugs and ignition coil. All wires checked and nothing loose. Starter, battery and alternator all good!
Jeep was running but took several times to turn over before starting. Then it just stop starting up. No sign of any issues before hand. Thought it was fuel at first but ruled out at manifold and due to fuel pump running and smell of gas at throttle body. Based on other posts, I decided to change out ECU, first attempting the capacity replacement which I might add seemed to work well. I thought maybe I screwed it up so purchased an ECU in addiition. Turns out, its not the issue...

Can anyone lend a hand or guidance? Thanks

Signed,

Sad jeep owner :(

Dave

Dave,

Have you checked the Crank Position Sensor? It's on the bottom of the Jeep at the bellhousing (IF I remember correctly). If it is not that, it could also well be your CAM Position Sensor. This one is under the rotor inside the distributor.

Now, this is all assuming you have good pressure at the rail (check at the Schraeder valve), and that there is really no spark. If you have no way to check for spark, take a large screwdriver, stick it inside one of the spark plug boots, put it over the valve over, and have someone turn the engine over. If there is spark, you will see it jump from the metallic part of the screwdriver to the cover. Just make sure your hand is not near the screwdriver; 35,000V of electricity sting like a MOFO! (DO NOT ASK HOW I KNOW THIS!).

Hope this helps...

Felipe

jfrabat,

Thank you for your reply.....very funny....was going to ask but I'm sure i already know.....i like to work on electricity myself, been there, felt that. I have read some articles on these two sensors not specifically on the wrangler but definitely a jeep. One guy had just unplugged the CAM position sensor for 5 minutes and then plugged it in. Then his jeep started right up. With everything else I have been changing out, does the jeep require these to sensors to be reset (or rebooted) in order for the new equipment to see them? Or do they just go bad out of no where.

69jeepcj......appreciate the backup!

Bounty_Hunter.....where is the Auto Shutdown Relay?

Thanks all for the help.....will be working on the jeep tonight.

A crank position sensor may be intermittent but the eventual outcome is failure without warning. The engine either will not start or may just shut off while operating.

I would certainly start with the ASD simply because it is easier and cheaper; just swap it with the horn relay in the fuse box under the hood. If that is not it, I would move on to the CPS (Crank Position Sensor) just because it is easier to remove (just 2 bolts). If that is not it, then I would go on to the CAM Position Sensor. And as stated, both of these sensors can become intermittent, but once they start failing, its time for them to go, because the end result is always failure (most of the times at a bad timing).

OK.....finally tracked down the ASD relay and its inside the fuse box under the hood. There are 4 of them active, Fuel pump, ASD, horn and starter. They are $15 bucks each from Autozone. I replaced the ASD one and still no startup.....I will swap out the crankshaft sensor tomorrow and let everyone know how I make out.....

Thanks

I want to thank everyone for their help. I was begining to think I would never get this jeep running again after everything I had replaced but it is now ALIVE !!!!!!! I replaced the crank shaft sensor and the jeep started right up? I cannot believe it....All i can wonder is that this sensor is similiar to the old "neutral safety switch." Anyway, I want to again thank all of you for your knowledge and wisdom and hope to someday pay it forward with all my hard work to restore the jeep. i know I will run into more problems along the way but hopefully can pass my experiences on to help another.

For now, i will leave you with my next project.........HHO generator in my jeep. I planned on replacing a lot of the sensors simply to make my next project run efficiently and help the gas mileage on the jeep. I have researched this project with a company for the last month outlining all the initiatives. I just couldn't get it started without fixing the jeep first. I will keep everyone in the loop on my progress

OK.....nevermind.......jeep not fixed....second drive turned out to be a failure and put me 4 blocks from house when jeep just stopped running mid-stream!!! WOW.....this is really starting to drive me crazy.
Have to go....waiting for tow truck to flat bed jeep back to house.

Just out of curiosity where did you get your crank position sensor? If you got a advance auto/AutoZone special it might still be the problem.

I did buy it at Autozone. It matched up perfectly whereas Pep-boys had one with flanges on it used to mount with. I could have cut them off but opted to go with the Autozone one.
Why do you say it could still be the problem?

eric m
do you think I should request an ASD relay from the dealer? How about a Napa auto parts? would they be more dependable?
Thanks

Eric ment the ckp and CPS really most sensors. The cheap aftermarket sensors are known to fail right out of the box.

Thanks Eric....I just called Napa Auto parts who generally uses better parts and they sell a brand called Eckland for $76.99.
The one i bought was from Pep boys for 55 and I think was made by BWD???
The Jeep dealer says his is purchased from Chrysler but he doesn't know which manufacturer.......he didn't sound to enthusiastic about much...:)

My recommendation is the same as above; just buy the sensor from the dealer... Cheap ones WILL fail right out of the box. For the relay, simply swap it with the horn relay. They use the same one.

Back