Help twin stick my 85 cj7

Blab77

Ey I was wondering if you guys could help me on letting me know what all I need to twin stick my 85 cj7. I've did a lot of research but I'm just not sure on everything I need I have the Dana 300 transfer case with the front Dana 30 and the rear amc 20 with stock gears? Any help please thankyou

If you buy the kit from JB Customs, nothing. It comes with everything and is a custom fit (unlike some of the universal ones).

Unless you have a really custom Jeep, you don't need the cable-shifter model. There should be a standard twin stick direct connection one specific to CJ on his site. They are about $140 if I remember and it comes with everything you'll need and good instructions.

What are the benefits of having the dual sticks?

What are the benefits of having the dual sticks?

If you where to look at your T-case from under niether your jeep, you'll see that it is actually two seperate shifting rods(rails) connected to a common gear shift lever as the OEM setup. Twin stick allows each rod to have it's own serparte lever for a controlled and easier shift in and out of the various transfer stages. It will also allow the user to run in front wheel drive only for tighter cornering (but only use in very low speeds). You can also further modify a twin stick to be RWD low range only (again only at vey low speeds) but that requires moving the T-case and modify the shift rails internally by removing the inter-lock devices which involve cutting a notch in the rail. This is not recommended for the casual user as you can easily damage the T-case by burning a bearing up, stripping gear teeth or breaking the main shaft in two pieces (because you could one axle in high and the other in low at the same time).

image-90411197.jpg

Thank you Blab77 for the picture.
That is a nice looking set up.
I have a 78 CJ5. 4.2 with a three speed manual.
What transfer case do I have in it?

78 cj should have a dana 20 tcase, t150 3spd trans, dana 30 front axle and AMC 20 rear axle, factory axle gearing should be 3.54:1.

Back