Squeaking noise from the front wheel

Star415

Hello everyone I am new to the forum, and kind of new to my 1980 CJ7.

I was wondering if anyone out there knew what would cause my CJ to make a squeaking noise from the front driver side wheel when making a turn in 4wd? It also jumps a bit in he turns.

There is a distinct possibility that you may have a bad u-joint on the front axle shaft.

Welcome to Jeepz.com . Thank you for joining up . We like CJ's too . I don't own one but I'm hoping to change that one day soon. If you don't hear this noise in 2WD you'll need to pull the locking hub off to see if there is excessive wear . Now however is a good time to do a general inspection . You'll want to check wheel bearings , axle u-joints & upper and lower ball joints. If your uncertain on how to proceed with disassembly , get a good repair manual that has your year , make and model so you know what to expect when taking it apart and get a good idea what tools you'll need. While your at it , check the differential fluid level and if it looks dirty and gunked up , drain it and refill. If you do , get enough for the rear axle and do both while your at it. At this point you may as well check the transmission fluid ( it's a cj7 , do you have an automatic ?) and plan on a trans flush if the fluid looks a little on the dark side and dosen't smell right. Compare to new fluid. Brown or black fluid will warrant an immediate fluid and filter change. If it's a manual , drain it and refill with the proper fluid. Be aware to use the correct fluid and not something that will harm the syncronizers . We have discussions on this and ask is if you don't like the answers the parts store gives. Same goes for the transfer case too. Tell her s a little about your jeep as it will help us to know for helping with maintenance and repair. It is very important to use the right fluids and it may be necessary to switch over to a recommended fluid that may be better for your jeep than what it originally came with . We'll try to help with any questions you may have . If ever your not sure on anything , post up your question(s) and we'll help out . We got a lot of experienced people , they own jeeps like yours and different ones but they got skills and you'll benefit from their experience. Post back with what you find when you can . Once again , thank you for your membership . Greg

Last edited:
From my experience with this same sound you describe, you have a loose wheel bearing nut and your wheel bearing is being toasted. the nut loosens (usually because someone left out the locking tab for the two nuts) and the bearing has a bit of play, starts to wear out and squeaks. You should not drive your jeep on pavement in 4x4, the rear is pushing while the front is trying to turn and you get bucking and jerking sometimes, this can also bind the front drive and snap ujoints and or axle shafts. suggestions of front ujoints making your squeaking is very feasible as well.

If preload locks were left out , yes , jamb nut will eventually loosen. Preload must be checked , bearing condition as well . Hope the PO did the right thing.

Star,

While everyone has given you great insight to the potiential problem (as everyone here is famous for), do yourself the first favor as Greg mentioned and tear-down/inspect your front axle (minus pulling the carrier,ring and pinion unless it is truely a mess during the inspection). The second favor you can do for yourself is get a copy of a quality manual (two or more is better!). I highly recommend getting yourself a copy of Moses Ludel's "Jeep CJ Rebuilder Manual 1972-1986" as this book is very well detailed in the assembelly and repair of your vehicle and is easy to follow with great photo's, especially for the drive-train.

Don't just fix the problem, learn how everything works together and what caused the failure to begin with. The more you understand about your Jeep and the longer you own it (or ones like it cause it likely wont stop with just a "Jeep"), the more satisfied and confident you'll be.

That's some great advise. I will pickup the Moses Ludel's manual, it sounds like what I need.

Thanks for the advise. I was checking it out in 4x4 on pavement so I will have to take it out to the field this weekend and check it out the right way. I was not aware the vehicle would respond that way on pavement.

When in 4x4 you should be on a surface that allows the front tires some slippage such as mud, dirt, sand, snow, even limestone. Asphalt, concrete do not allow the slippage and the jumping you feel is the front tires being forced to slip. If you are on hard packed surface (asphalt, concrete), no sharp turns.

I don't know for sure. It would be my guess that you have a ujoint just starting to go bad, and that is the squeak you hear when the front end is in a bind such as on asphalt. It could also be a wheel bearing going too, hard to say. At this point I would look behind your front wheel and you should see where the axle shaft go,s into the area of your lockout hubs, grab that axle shaft and see if there is any play in it at all, move it up, down, and try to twist the shaft looking for play. Next thing I would do is jack up the front tire and grab it at opposite ends and try to wobble the tire side to side, up and down feeling for any play indicating a bad wheel bearing. If those two things check out ok, I wouldn't worry about it too much and just don't make real sharp turns on hard packed surfaces.

Back