SOA and Axle swap questions

Jeepin_guy95

I've decided its time to step up and finally get some real meat stuffed under the fenders of my '95. My jeep is completely stock except for a 1" body lift and sway bar disconnects. I want to go with a SOA and ditch the stock axles. I just dont have a clue what sort of a donor truck I should be looking for. I'm aiming to fit the biggest tires I can and use TJ flares. I try and do mostly rock crawling, but the Jeep sees just about every type of terrain, so I need ground clearance and flex. [addsig]

You're looking at about 37" tires max with the SOA, 1" BL, and TJ flares.

Look for a SJ, either a fullsize Cherokee, Wagoneer, or Grand Wagoneer, with the front and rear Dana 44. Be sure the front is a driver's side diff, and the rear is a D44 and not a AMC20HD.

Anything heavier than a D44 will likely be full-width, unless that's what you're looking for. The Jeep J20 pickups have a D44 front and D60 rear, but are much wider than the SJ axles.

Whichever you choose, you'll need new rims to accomodate the different lug pattern.[addsig]

I don't mind the look of full size axles, as long as they're not too huge. I dont want to do a transfer case swap and I realize that limits me to a drivers side diff for the front. I've just started to look for specs for F250 axles to find out just how much wider they actually are. I figured the extra width would give me a bit more stability fo go along with the higher center of gravity.[addsig]

You are right, valid points. But if you wheel in wooded areas, it will be difficult getting around between trees.

Wider stance is good when raising the center of gravity.[addsig]

Back