TJ electrical gremlins

prariepunk

Ok, my buddy's TJ is acting up in that it's popping the running lights/dash light fuse... like as soon as he replaces the fuse with the key in the off position. He said the front driver turn signal socket looks like it got heated enough to melt the Chrysler emblem off of the socket. I'm at a loss. Any ideas?

Had something similar going on with my cj, but for the electric fan. being a tj I doubt your fix will be the same as mine. I ended up finding my problem at the fuse box, I pulled some fuses and found that one must have gotten really hot and it melted the inside part of the fuse box where the fuse plugs in. I got a new aftermarket fuse box and haven't had a problem since. I think it melted a hot wire to ground inside the box or something that kept making the fuses blow.

Your issue is definetly a short to ground....the question is where. I would start with a VOM at the burnt socket. Check for continuity to ground on the hot side & trace back twds the fuse(do this with the fuse removed).

Back