1989 wrangler 4.2

Jeff Carter

Hello I'm new at this. I have a 1989 wrangler 4.2. An have been haven problem with it cutting out when I'm driven. Some times it will idle great an sometimes it will have a missing idol. I can pull of the vacuum line from the distributor and the missile in the ilde stopped. I've done a complete carb rebuild.An replaced the ignition module,pickup coil, coil,cap and rotor, plugs,fuel pump. An it still cuts out on me when I'm driven. Hope someone can help me out.

Load test the battery

Clean battery terminals and connectors.
Clean the opposite side of the battery ground cables.

Does it start right back up?

Other than this. CKP. Crank position sensor.

Some times it does but sometime it takes a little to get it running. But when it starts it idles great. I'm just so stumped.I don't think the 1989 has a crankshaft positioning sensor. But I could be wrong this is my first jeep. What's a CKP?

Last edited:
Some times it does but sometime it takes a little to get it running. But when it starts it idles great. I'm just so stumped.I don't think the 1989 has a crankshaft positioning sensor. But I could be wrong this is my first jeep. What's a CKP?

You are correct, you have no Crank Position Sensor. In fact, you have one of the last AMC engines made which had rudamentary electronics at best (still a great engine though). The fact that you can disconnect the vac line at the distrubutor (at idle?) and the missing stops does bother me. You should have no reaction when the vac line is removed from the distrubtor because you should not be pulling any (or very little) vac from the ported supply on the carb at idle? Are you actually getting a vacuum signal? Has a nutter bypass been done to the Jeep? If not, is the distrubutor still plugged into the wiring harness (actually, it's the ECM harness). Are the connections corroded?

Let me think some more about this......

Hmmm I never owned a 89 but can buy a ckp for 87 thru 89 and it had been an issue on an 89. Is this a crossover year or possibly the other was an engine swap?

Last edited:
The junk Carter carb can only be rebuilt so many times until it's just trash. Try upgrading to a Motorcraft 2150 with a Mr Gasket carb adapter.

Back