Help!!!!

newtojeeps

Hi guys my name is Nathan and i recently came into a 1980 CJ7 and I'm having several issues. #1 is that it wont crank via the loc and tumbler but will crank when i jump it over the solenoid. Now i know that generally means a bad solenoid but I replaced this one three times and still have the same results. #2 is that the mechanic that had it before me said that he re-built the carburetor and i checked and all of the gaskets look new, however when i turn the aftermarket fuel pump on it wont dump gas into the carburetor. the gas is getting to it just not in it. i have no idea what wiring or anything that has been messed with other than the supposed rebuild. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Welcome to Jeepz.com.
Is this an electric fuel pump? Also, any chance its the original carter carb, or is it a replacement weber or holley?

ok, lets start with the fuel pump. I way you worded the question "it wont dump gas into the carb" confuses me a little, so I have to ask a silly question. You do understand that fuel will not dump into the carb unless you press the gas? If so and this Is a factory carb on a 258 6 cyl and gas is indeed reaching the carb, then where the gas line enters the carb, there is a filter behind the line in the carb. I have found many people do not know about this filter and it gets clogged. I used to throw the filter in the trash and buy a inline filter from the auto store and installed it just before the carb.

Last edited:
For the not crank,, it sounds like you do not have 12 volts going from the ignition switch down to the starter in the start position. (clicks of ignition switch..AUX, OFF, RUN, START) You will have to have someone turn and hold the key in the start position to test for volts coming out the ignition to the starter, when you let go of the key there will be no volts showing. If you don't have any volts at the starter with the key in the start position then you need a new ignition switch, or there is no volts reaching the ignition switch, so make sure you have power to the switch as well.

You may also have a interlock on the electric fuel pump that is dependent on oil pressure (which is the way they are supposed to be wired). The wiring in this type of situation can be difficult to figure out and easy to cross a wire.

Back