cranks no start!! HELP

joeoc91

backround
2001 tj wrangler 4.0L, 5 speed manual 118,000 miles
i drove home the other nights and parked behind my bro i left for the night he moved it back 10 ft and foward over a small curb 10ft(w.e) next morning i get in it and it cranks hard, but wont fire......

i sprayed some starting fluid in it to see if i could get a putter and nothing, so i changed the crankshaft sensor got nothing, changed the cam sensor.. nothing, checked the fuses they're all good. i popped the coil rail off and left a plug in to check for spark and didnt see any!!! im at a loss right now !!

i also hooked a scanner to it and it wasnt reading any pending or hard codes!!

Verify proper fuel pressure. 45-55 psi - reading should be constant key on thru idle and rev to 3500 rpm

Verify you have spark

Verify fuses are good.

After that the CKP on the transmission does go without notice

Auto or manual? There is a clutch switch to ensure clutch is released. Also a transmission switch on autos.

Last edited:
i checked spark today and were all good witjh that it has power going to coil rail and the plugs do spark
i sprayed ether in it today and got it to fire up!
i tried that 4 tiumes yesterday so i checked the plug on the driver side of the fuel tank and it has momentary power at key on like it should!
my guess is the fuel pump went bad overnight! i switched around relays and replaced the plugs for safe measure and now ill suppose i drop the tank and ill let you know how that works for me!

Did you try pumping the accelerator while cranking? I know it's not necessary with FI but it has worked for me in the past. Could be a TPS issue.

i checked spark today and were all good witjh that it has power going to coil rail and the plugs do spark
i sprayed ether in it today and got it to fire up!
i tried that 4 tiumes yesterday so i checked the plug on the driver side of the fuel tank and it has momentary power at key on like it should!
my guess is the fuel pump went bad overnight! i switched around relays and replaced the plugs for safe measure and now ill suppose i drop the tank and ill let you know how that works for me!

Turn the key on and put a gas pressure gage on the Schrader valve before dropping the tank.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=knE_J8xc3hk&sns=em

Also try turning your key on for 5 sec, then off , then on for 5 sec then start.

Last edited:
Back