This used cj buying thing........

Knuckles

Is working out very well for me. Sold my 79 cj5 back in 93. Have been kicking myself and groaning about it ever since. Missed my Jeep. So I purchases a 77 that still has the original exhaust system on it. Pretty good shape this little cj5. It had a bad miss but idled perfect and didn't smoke going down the road. Popped the dist cap off and could see why it ran crappy. Upon inspection under the hood noticed it already had new plugs wires cap ignition box and extra ground wires running all over the place. PO almost had it corralled. Easy fix for me.

The headlights were doing some crazy things sporadically. One day I kick the bumper and the lights come on. Upon inspection I see where it has a new dimmer switch and new wiring and a new light switch. New this new that. PO almost had it corralled. Two new ground bolts on the grill and shazzam, the lights are working perfect. So far I have a nice little Jeep and sure is nice to have one again. 8)

Knuckles

You're probably the guy that buys the stuff that i dump all kinds of money in to and decide it's to expensive to keep.
Welcome to the forum.

Pictures. I was looking for a 77-80 stock cj5. Most have been lifted, slammed, cut up, wrecked or wore out.

This one has a small steering wheel and custom bumpers. My first thought about the front bumper was, that's gonna get bent. So of course the first time I took it out in the snow I bent the bumper. Someone went snap tie crazy, even on the axle tubes.

The fuel filter is not where I would have placed it. And I'd never use a plastic filter. I have a 15 inch Wrangler wheel, waiting for the horn button parts. Seats, need new or covered. Rubber baby buggy bumpers between the grill and radiator?? Under the new dimmer switch too. Not crazy about the paint job but the jeep runs real good. P1080609.JPGP1080616.JPG

And more. Not familiar with posting many files. Post count will benefit.P1080606.JPGP1080608.JPGP1080615.JPGP1080617.JPG

The sissy tires will be replaced with 31X10.5s in a couple weeks. They really suck in mud and snow. Nice down the road but are too small diameter. Had to check the gear ratio. Thought it might be 4.10. Turns out to have a "N" stamped in the AMC 20 housing. 3.54 with Traclok? P1080611.JPG

Good looking CJ5 you have there. My 5 is rough as a night in jail but I love it. What's your plans for it? Going back orig or like a resto mod or just a driver?

Cool, my first jeep was a 75 cj5. Sold it to chase a skirt to Alabama. Been kicking myself in the butt ever since. Good luck with it bro.

Gave my CRX to my daughter, was in need of a daily driver. First thing is to replace some worn parts and change the current receiver hitch. Would like to add a winch. Sort out the wiring mess. Change gear oils. Tie rod end at the pitman arm is loose. Might get a small trailer for camping/rockhounding. Have been using my one ton diesel flatbed and a twenty six foot pull behind for camping. That's gettin a little old.
Paint, hmm......... people like it, I don't. Was actually considering rattle canning it a section at a time. Not sure yet what I'll do about paint.

Cool, my first jeep was a 75 cj5. Sold it to chase a skirt to Alabama. Been kicking myself in the butt ever since. Good luck with it bro.

My first Jeep was a 75 cj5 too. was very rough also. Had a bullet proof 304 and a three speed that liked to jump out of gear. Fixed it all up and traded it for a new 79 cj5.

Flat pea green would be a good option If I rattle can it. I like it.:) Last vehicle I painted was with acrylic enamel.

One easy fix would be to address all those individual leads that are attached to the battery terminals and the tub grounds. I went with a Ford power distribution box that I mounted in front of the batteries on the inner fenderwell and a ground bus bar (like those in breaker panels) and not only does it look more sanitary I've not had any electrical issues since.

14771949907_41af751c36_z.jpg9399619919_38e2accdc6_z.jpg12977358415_d1e9b34c79.jpg

Back