AW-4 Swap Into a 2001 Jeep TJ

Catoctin Jeep

Official Vendor
I know there are a few Jeep TJ owners that have installed the XJ AW-4 auto to replace the 32RH. To take care of the CEL light the ECM is to be replaced from a TJ that had a manual trans in it and then do a pin out with a few wires from the AW-4.

My question is, can a ECM from the same year XJ that came with the AW-4 work in place of the ECM in the TJ. Come to think of it, it my not be worth it since I would still need to splice the 4 wires to the ECM anyway.

Any thoughts or insight from anyone..

I would check the pin out diagram of both ECM's and compare them. I would guess there are too many differences between the two to make it worthwhile.

Your probably correct, but it would be something to consider if it would work out. I just looked at the dash of a 2001 XJ and then the dash on my 2001 TJ and both layouts are the same. Looking at the pin outs would seal the deal whether or not it would work.

Stu-offroad.com . I found an AW4 transmission swap article on this site that looks to be very complete and helpful . When it comes to pcm and wiring harness pinout you know you need to be spot on . This site took the guess work out . The swap appears to be not impossible or difficult but more involved than just a bolt on .

Yes I was on that site and completely understand what is involved, he is very thorough. I was just thinking that if the XJ computer could be used it may simplify the installation. I wasn't sure if the TCU would plug directly to the ECM. If thats not the case then the whole idea my not be worth the time.

Back