evap line??

heather

i just got my 2000 tj inspected and the garage said i need to replace the gas tank supports and the evap line. i cant find an evap line anywhere. ive tried to figure out what its called technically and have no idea. i bought a new skid plate and straps, but im sure when i try to remove the "evap line" its going to break. i need to find a new one before i replace the supports. any help would be immensly appreciated. thank you

Never heard of such but my guess would be, if such a thing exists, that it might be some sort of vent tube from the gas tank??? Only thing I've ever heard of regarding an evaporator in a vehicle had to do with A/C. As to gas tank supports, I would think these would be whatever attaches the tank to your Jeep; probably metal straps or brackets. I'd be skeptical, as it appears that you are...could be a scam. Hopefully, others here will know.

its not a code thing. she passed emissions. the tank support does have a hole rusted through it but its in no danger of falling off. its on there pretty snug. they called them the upper and lower gas tank shield?? doesnt sound right to me. either way im waiting on a new skid plate and straps. As for the "evap line" ive seen a video on changing the gas tank supprt system and the guy pulled a hose out (he said it just clips in and should pull right off) but it broke when he pulled it out. ive looked into vent hoses and theyre all attached to a fuel pump. sorry if im long winded. i love my jeep, i want to make sure i get everything right thank you

So I didn't catch why you need the evap lines replaced.

The function of the evap emissions control system is to draw fuel vapours from the gas tank and fuel system, store them in a charcoal canister and route them to the intake manifold. So the hose(s) must be damaged, corroded, cracked ect. Do you ever smell fuel? I don't have diagrams for your jeep, but a vacuum hose diagram (specific to your jeep) should shed some light.. Maybe another member has a diagram?

the cj,s had evap system as well, all the way back to 78 that I know of maybe even further back. I have always took off the emissions stuff off of my cj's including the evap charcoal canister
and I never had a problem with fumes. If you don't replace it, I don't know if it will throw a code or not. On a cj I think the evap hose was green and it is brittle, (thin hollow hard plastic hose).

Back