push rods

wjb1944141

what is the standard length of the push-rods for 1981 j10 w/258 inline 6cyl.is there a shim of some kind that will take up the slack from a worn cam lobe?

Last edited:

Not satisfied with what some older literature I have gives me , I searched online. From an outside forum ( not my preference to pirate ) ORIGINALS pushrod length is 9.640 to 9.660 long part #3227329 . REPLACEMENTS rods 9.710 to 9.73 part#3242395 .
Would like to thank those who participated and supplied this info at OFF-ROAD.COM.
Thread entitled ATTN: 80-81 258 owners pushrod info , ticking sound
p.s.- I have never heard of a shim for cam lobe or bellied in lifter compensation , I only know that if the lifters are worn the set must be changed and truth be told cams and lifters wear together so both should be replaced.

Not satisfied with what some older literature I have gives me , I searched online. From an outside forum ( not my preference to pirate ) ORIGINALS pushrod length is 9.640 to 9.660 long part #3227329 . REPLACEMENTS rods 9.710 to 9.73 part#3242395 .
Would like to thank those who participated and supplied this info at OFF-ROAD.COM.
Thread entitled ATTN: 80-81 258 owners pushrod info , ticking sound
p.s.- I have never heard of a shim for cam lobe or bellied in lifter compensation , I only know that if the lifters are worn the set must be changed and truth be told cams and lifters wear together so both should be replaced.

thanks to all for your help W.J.B.

Your most welcome . Let us know how all works out . We're always interested in old iron as well as new . It's our roots !

Last edited:
You do realize the best thing is to replace the cam and redo the valves, springs, rods and lifters...?

Back