1991 YJ 4.0 or 2003 liberty for my daughter

DavidC

I'm helping my daughter buy her first car. She really wants a Jeep. I was leaning towards a Liberty, but I know she really wants to be able to take the top off.

Looking at a 1991 Wrangler Renegade YJ 4.0 - 150,000 miles no rust runs very well good tires $3,700
vs.
2003 Liberty sport v6 175,000 miles - $3,500
both automatics

I've never had Jeep. Now that I'm on this Forum I want one for myself. I probably wouldn't consider a 1991 vehicle except that after being on this Forum it sounds like they can last.

Is it hard to find parts etc for a 91? Will either cost a lot more to maintain? Would either tend to be more dependable and last longer?

I'm going to have to decide quickly. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Between the 2 I'd choose the YJ. I would think you could get it for around $3k.

The YJ is a lot easier to maintain yourself, and she'll love the ability to go topless.

I agree, go with the YJ. My first was a '91 and I loved it but due to unreported damage from accident by previous owner, I had to get rid of it. With the mileage and age, any major issues with the Jeep from that time should have already been addressed so now it should just be 'normal' upkeep work. YJs are better built in my opinion and she will like the convertible, expect when it rains and she has left the top off. Haha. Jeep Girls are the best.

The wranglers are more fun. Strong frame and many aftermarket parts available and interchangeable with other years.

I vote for the yj. Getting her the liberty would be like giveing a coffee lover a cup of tea.

I have a 91 myself, it will be with me till I can't climb into it. As others have said you can modify it to your hearts content to make it even more fun. A bit of advice though, there is some maintenance that you should do as I am finding out. I am in the process of going completely through it and presently painting it. I have found a few areas that hide rust but is relatively easy to clean up. The body behind the door hinges may have rust, all you need do is unbolt them to check. The other area is on the inside where the windshield and the dash meet. Just fold down the window to check that area. other than that your daughter will have a little beast that won't let her down in any weather or terrain. I might mention I dropped a Chevy 350 into it instead of redoing the 4.0L. but I had more than 250,000 miles. I would also suggest using AMSOIL oil and Mobil one oil filter as they are the top rated in their fields and give the engine longer life. One other thing, if the jeep is a soft top and it has to be replaced in the future, Quadratec has a great replacement top, do not get the sailcloth as it is a waist on cost and is difficult to take off and put back on.
Good Luck.

go with the wrangler..more fun, parts are easy to come by, no question about it, the 91 is far better

Congratulations on your daughter being a jeep girl!!!
My 2.5L 1991 Wrangler YJ pulls me toward picking it.
My ride was bought at auction and I replaced a few parts. Easy to work on and the ability to jump in and go whenever and wherever is fantastic.
No major problems in 9 yrs of ownership. Replaced the brakes myself, as well.

:driving:

having had a liberty and two yj wranglers, where do you live and what type of driving will she be doing?

if the yj a hard top, hard doors model or is it a soft top, half doors model?

we loved our liberty. it was easy to build and very comfortable. but...... liberties have a fatal engine issue and if they are not an 02 or early 03, they have weaker transmissions.

the yj is solid all the way around though, as long as you can live with the little differences it has versus a fully enclosed vehicle

having had a liberty and two yj wranglers, where do you live and what type of driving will she be doing?

if the yj a hard top, hard doors model or is it a soft top, half doors model?

we loved our liberty. it was easy to build and very comfortable. but...... liberties have a fatal engine issue and if they are not an 02 or early 03, they have weaker transmissions.

the yj is solid all the way around though, as long as you can live with the little differences it has versus a fully enclosed vehicle
Thank you

I have a 92 yj 4.0....its really easy to work on and you can find all kind of parts on ebay for them....and your daughter is gonna "love" driving it summer, winter, snow, mud. My son does the work on my jeep that I can't.

Back