fender flares

Scotts cj7

I bought a set of Rugged Ridge fender flares for my 1985 cj7. The rear flares fit great but the front flares are far to long meaning they go to far to the rear of the fender. I have 39 years doing auto body repairs and I know how to install things such as these. Has anyone out there had the same problem and could someone post pics of their cj's with these flares they are the pocket flares. I do like the look of these flares and would like to find front flares that fit. Thanks for any help Scott.

The Rugged Ridge website says the, "pocket Flares" replace original equipment.

Last edited:
Thank you for the replies. I contacted toms 4x4 and sent them a photo but have yet to hear back from them. I bought them through e bay I don't think that should matter though they were still sold by Toms. Will let know what happens.

I do believe those are the ones except I got the 4 3/4 flares If this is the case I will shorten them if I have to. I just don't like them that far back.

I wouldn't like them that far back either. I think I would contact them about it, and if that is the way they were made I would trim the lower corner of the fender so the wheel opening matches the flares.

I got the OE style Rugged Ridge flares back in December and while I haven't gotten to the rears, the one front I got done the other day is a perfect fit. Must be a case of misboxed parts.

Their not returning my calls. If I was to cut back the fender I would end up cutting into the tub. What I am considering doing is sectioning the flare. If I take some out of the top center it would look real good. I would use Sem multipurpose panel adhesive that dries very hard. Using the piece I take out for reinforcement on the back side. I have used it many times to repair plastic parts.

Back