Think I've found my 4WD squeak

TerryMason

Administrator
Staff member
I've had a squeak when I put my TJ in 4WD for some time now. I decided to pull the front driveshaft and found this on the axle side

Jeep-wrangler-ujoint.JPG

I think it's safe to say this ujoint is toast.

Last edited:
No grease fitting on that one?

I don't think there are grease fittings on any of the stock ujoints.

I've heard different opinions on ujoint grease fittings - some people like them, and others say that they weaken the ujoint, and sometimes cause the joint to bind. I'd rather just replace the joint every so often, since it's unlikely I'll actually get under there and grease the joint...

What is a "double cardan" ?
On the opposite end of the driveshaft is the cardan joint. The picture shows the U-joint which bolts up to the axle flange . That is a single u-joint . The cardan U-joints are used where the torque is strongest . Some vehicles will use a cardan type u-joint on bothe ends , such as Cadillacs and Lincoln continentals to name a few. The cardan joint is basically two U-joints on one end pressed into a coupler with one side of the coupler joined to the driveshaft and the other side to the mating flange which will in this case bolt up to the transfer case . Cardan u-joints are also used to increase flexibility . This is important on an off road vehicle due to extreme suspension travel. The driveshaft must be able to withstand these extreme angles or failure is certain. The cardan U-joint helps to achieve this.
Sorry , but when I said cardan u-joint in this post , I am referring to the DOUBLE cardan u-joint. A cardan u-joint is just a single type u-joint of the cross style with bearing caps on all ends. The double cardan will of course have twice that since there are two cardan u-joints.

Last edited:
As per the photo , I'd say you caught that just in time ! The dreaded "red dust" means the U-joint was on borrowed time. Thank goodness for spring ! That u-joint couldn't go much longer without failure.

Back