AHHHHHH. Bucking, Stumbling, and RPM Surge

Bond--007

HISTORY: About 2 weeks ago this issue occured and I got a CEL for the following code - Intermittent loss of either camshaft or crankshaft position sensor. I assumed it was due to the generic CKP I put in back in Aug '14. The Seller sent me a new one and I installed it last night. and took it for a test run (~7 miles). Ran great during the test run

I jumped in the jeep this morning to take it to work since it is calling for nice weather. Made it about 4 miles from the house and noticed a slight "burp" in the throttle. Within another half a mile or so, it really started to stumble and miss. Everytime it would stumble, the RPM would surge to 4000-6000 but no change in the engine sound. The stumble goes go away if the clutch is pressed in. I tried the dash cluster trick to pull a code but it only showed a 23 code
23 Intake air temperature sensor input above or below acceptable voltage

I was so ticked I had to take the truck on such a nice day, I slammed the door closed and left. I have a scanner at the house to hook up tonight to pull the code that tripped the CEL. Was reaching out here to see if anyone has experienced this in the past and what I should look at

In previous searching on the web, people that had the same issue claimed they fixed it with a new distributor assembly, CKP sensor, or timing chain

1997 Wrangler SE
2.5L Engine
5 speed manual trans

When you replaced the CKP was there a paper spacer or gasket on it? Did you install it with the paper gasket? If you install it without it the CkP will likely be damaged at the first start.

Edit

image-607252557.jpg

Last edited:
There was no paper spacer on either of them when I installed them. I did get a chance to scan the CEL this morning before work and got P0113 - Intake Air Temperature Circuit High Input

There was no paper spacer on either of them when I installed them. I did get a chance to scan the CEL this morning before work and got P0113 - Intake Air Temperature Circuit High Input

You certainly have more sensor issues than most!!
Curious.

Try cleaning with damp cloth and inspect wires and connection. Mine is closer to the TB (post valve train connection) and can get coated once in a while. Again use OEM should you replace it.

You certainly have more sensor issues than most!!
Curious.

Try cleaning with damp cloth and inspect wires and connection. Mine is closer to the TB (post valve train connection) and can get coated once in a while. Again use OEM should you replace it.

I am SO over the sensors in a Jeep...lol. I'll pull it out this weekend and wipe it down to see if it corrects it. Just for S&G, I tried to clear the code and it popped right back up within seconds

OK, the issue occurred again with the new AZ IAT sensor and replacement CKP sensor. We went to NAPA on Saturday and I bought one of theirs (dealership said it was a 13 day wait for the CKP and a 4 days wait for the IAT). Out the door was $107 and change. I replaced the 2 sensors last night and cleaned each connection. Seems to have corrected the issue. Drove the jeep to work this morning with no issues (opened it up as much as you can a 4 banger on the interstate). I'll report a follow-up after a week for anyone else in the future

Leon, did you get this figured out?

Yes Terry!! 1) AZ parts are fine such as brakes, rotors, drums, etc.... Stay away from their sensors!

I've been running the NAPA sensors on it now for almost a month and Jeep is running great! The amount of knowledge and helpfulness on this forum is priceless. Thanks to everyone that has been helping through the painful times with the Jeep

Back