Rear lights not working correctly

EricJ1981

I have a 2005 LJ. Out of nowhere the reverse lights stopped working, brake lights and turn signals only work when headlights are off but dimmer than normal (headlights work fine), and my reverse camera turns on when headlights are on or when brake is pressed, and flickers on/off when turn signals or hazards are used. I also just discovered that without keys in the ignition while in reverse and when the brake is pressed, the a/c starts blowing. All fuses are good. Has anyone come across this before or have an idea what the root cause is? Thanks!!!

Start with the basic checks. Check grounds on the rear lamps, power distribution center and battery grounds. Most of these components you've mentioned runs into a bulkhead connector on the center of the firewall , top of the valve cover. Check the connections there for issues like corrosion or chaffed wiring that's causing a short. Give that a try.

Sent from my iPad using Jeepz

Figured it out!!! It was the rock guards on the tail lights. The bolts to the body came loose and lost the ground. Took them off and working perfectly now. Going to Lowe's now to get some bigger bolts and reinstall. Thanks for the help!!!

Back