2.5 litre engine issues 1997

1soja

I have a 97 wrangler and I have replace the distributor and the tps sensor, my jeep was manufactured in april of 96, I can't get it to idle right is there a trick to the tps sensor?

Welcome to Jeepz.com
When did the bad idle start? Was it after replacing the distributor, and the TPS, or before that?

I think it was after the TPS but I am not positive, could the wrong distributor have thrown the TPS error code? When it comes to my Jeep I have often had to give the vin number when I buy parts

Agree idle issues are iac issues usually along with a few other items.

Did you change plugs and wires too?

Hooked back up correctly and all boots intact with no splits?

I have replaced everything. It started with replacing the valve cover gasket, then the distributor which is the only thing that I didn't buy from the dealer. The map sensor, I have done a throttle body cleaning with new gasket, but on the TPS sensor someone told me that they can be retarded to one side of dead center or the other and I haven't done that yet. I have even had the dealer do the recalled reprogram on the computer. I think I will start over with a different distributor and then try the TPS but on the distributor it only went in two ways wouldn't go in any other way. 180 out or right back in on center.

Did you replace the distributor cap or the entire distributor? If you replaced the entire distributor, you have to lock the Camshaft Position Sensor in place with a temporary pin and insert the distributor exactly per the FSM directions or timing will be off. The TPS on a '96 is non-adjustable, so it just mounts up and you're done. Non-dealer distributor caps and sensors can be of poor quality in my experience, often requiring warranty replacement a few times to get good parts. Go Mopar when possible on Dist. cap and sensors.

I have replaced everything. It started with replacing the valve cover gasket, then the distributor which is the only thing that I didn't buy from the dealer. The map sensor, I have done a throttle body cleaning with new gasket, but on the TPS sensor someone told me that they can be retarded to one side of dead center or the other and I haven't done that yet. I have even had the dealer do the recalled reprogram on the computer. I think I will start over with a different distributor and then try the TPS but on the distributor it only went in two ways wouldn't go in any other way. 180 out or right back in on center.

You mention A TPS on the distributor. The TPS is a Throttle Position Sensor on the throttle body. In the distributor is the cam position sensor CPS. As mentioned above the TPS clips on and your done. No special adjustment. The CPS as above mentioned needs to be installed per factory service manual.

Jeeps are finicky and like mainly OEM sensors. You may need to review the TPS or CPS brand.

Back