Spare Tire Carrier

PASmokeater

So, the lift is finally goin' on, amd I'm getting ready for Tennesse. Now I need a tire carrier due to the fact that I'm gettin' the 33 x 12.5 tires.I have a 99 Sahara and don't think the factory carrier will work. Will it ? If not, anyone out there have any favorites, and why ?

Rob :p :cool: :) [addsig]

i'm in the market for the same thing. I need somthing to clear the warn bumper and the reciver on the bumper. OR Fab makes real nice one, but its real pricey. if you're using stock bumper they do have a bracket that goes on the stock carrier. Quadratec has it..not sure on the part number or anything
-Evan[addsig]

I don´t do a whole lot of long distance driving, but in my minor travels. I´ve seen more than a few tire carriers, with the spare still attached, along side the interstate. If I was going to 33.12.50 (probably double the wieght of a stock tire) I´d look at something with a least two mounting points on a strengthened bumper or possibly a reciever hitch mounting technique (second choice but probably cheaper).
www.jeepfabrication.com has a few nice homebuilts.[addsig]

If you decide to get the bracket that relocates the spare and bolts on to the stock mount, don't waste your money. Get a spare front hub (wheel bearing assembly) and bolt it on to the stock mount as high as you can. Then bolt on the larger spare. This moves the spare up and out to clear the tailgate and bumper. And it spins, which is a coolness factor :lol:

This will add considerable stress to the stock mount and the stock tailgate/hinges. It's not the best solution for adding a heavy spare.

If you build/buy a heavy duty bumper/tire rack combo, you can still bolt the hub on and then bolt on the tire. Great place to carry a spare hub.[addsig]

Or, just yank your back seat and throw the spare there. The other solution is to get a 33x10.50 tire. This is 2 inches narrower and will cut down the weight. It's only a spare but with the same diameter. I'm looking to fab something myself, but haven't started yet. Gotta draw it up.

c[addsig]

Yeah Rob... I'm having the same issue. I've got the original tire on the back of mine, but when upgrading to the 33's this year I'm going the path of the extention bracket and a renforcement hinge kit. That, and getting some double tubed bumperetts. Good Luck! :-D [addsig]

i though i saw my neiborgh he has yj it looks like he is carring 33" yj bumpers are diff.then the tj so i don't know if your stock carrier would work.[addsig]

A couple of years back I purchased a olympic 4x4 hardware reciever bumper from quadratec, I will also be lifting my YJ this weekend and was having the same dilema. I like the bumper a lot and did not want to change it. I contacted the company a couple of days ago, told them my situation, they offer a add tire carrier, which is also in quadratec. (I should have looked harder) It will fit any aftermarket bumper with similar dimensions. Check it out, might fit your bumper!

Johnny[addsig]

you really do not want to lose your spare. A swing away carrier is almost a necessity when you move up to larger tires. the stock carrier will not hold that large of a tire safely, and simply putting another bracket on the stock carrier doesn't help much either. You can go with a swing away from companies such as Warn, but i'd look for someone locally that can fab you one. AND..... if you have it made custom.... you can add mounts onto it for your jack and gas cans! You really do need a swing away.[addsig]

Back