Beginner's guidelines and pointers

EfromA

Hello, I am new to the world of Jeeps, and cars in general, actually. But I am seriously considering buying a Jeep. Some CJ5's are what I am looking at right now, but I would like to get some pointers from people who actually know what is going on.

Is there any model that is particularly reliable, has readily available and reasonably priced parts, and fair gas mileage?
I would prefer something 80's and before.
Are there any other things that I should know and consider when looking for a Jeep?
I am wanting something pretty practical, something to go to the store, drive to the community collage, ect...

I'm sorry if I sound a bit ridiculous, but I am willing to listen and learn.

Thanks!

Jeeps only seem to drop to a certain point in value, and then flatten out. What that means is a 10 year old Jeep is going to cost about the same as a 15-20 year old Jeep. So decide why it is you want a 1980's vintage Jeep. If you like the CJ look, by all means, go for it. If it is cost, shop hard and you will find a newer Jeep for about the same cost.

Look for upgrades, like wheels/tires, lifts, bumpers, lights, winches, and more. You can save a lot on upgrades if someone else put them on and is selling the Jeep Vs buying a plain Jeep and buying the stuff and installing it yourself or having it installed. Of course, if you buy it you get exactly what you want. So weigh the pros and cons and your budget.

I have a 2002 TJ Sahara. I have spent a lot on gears and lockers to make it as capable as a Rubicon. I'm there, but it would have cost less at the time to just have spent a few bucks more and bought a Rubicon (I bought my Jeep used, it was about 7 years old at the time).

Anyway, welcome to Jeeps.:welcome: There are few vehicles that are more fun or rewarding to own and drive than a Jeep.:driving: If you like the outdoors and backroads, you will love having a Jeep.

Good luck and post pictures of what you get.

Last edited:
I think the most important question when choosing a Jeep is: How are you going to use it? If it's a daily driver I would choose a different year &/or model than if it's a weekend fun machine.
Some things to consider.... CJs are much less refined than the later Wrangler models. They ride rougher etc... CJ5s did not come with factory hard tops(no locking doors) or automatic transmissions. CJs are easier to work on than TJ's,JK's or even YJ's.
The newer Wranglers are more comfortable & come with more amenities & therefore are generally better daily drivers or "only" cars.
There are days when I'm glad my TJ has a hardtop & Air Conditioning(I still prefer stick), but there's no way I'm giving up my CJ5 for when I want to hit the dirt or take the top &/or doors off.

Good luck in your search & let us know aht you end up with.

prior to 76, cj5,s were available with factory hardtops, but they were metal and rattled and noisy, and are kinda rare to find now-a-days. so, you are wanting a daily driver.. that could mean diff things to diff people. If the jeep will be you only car, or you are not very mechanically inclined im not sure I would recommend an older cj. although there are good dependable cjs out there, I owned a 79 cj7 that I would trust to drive across the country. It has been over 25 years since the last cj was built and they will require some TLC. If you are set on a cj, as you have mentioned I would look for a 81 or older, v8 with 2brl carb. in my experience the v8s are less troublesome, the 258 6cyls have cracked intake and carb issues, awesome engines but crappy induction system. 76-86 frames are stronger but more prone to rust as the frames are boxed and not open like the 76 and older, (I personally would choose the boxed frame). the bodies on 76-86 are more prone to rust as well. when looking, look at the frame back by the rear bumper, and the rear of the front spring mount on the frame (popular rust areas). The cj has a tendency to have sloppy steering, but that can be fixed. The wranglers do have a better ride and would make for a better first timer, daily driver. Way more comforts than a older primitive cj.

I think the most important question when choosing a Jeep is: How are you going to use it? No way I'm giving up my CJ5 for when I want to hit the dirt or take the top &/or doors off.

Good luck in your search & let us know what you end up with.

Excellent answer! I've wheeled since the 80's and have had many people come up to me stating they just bought a Jeep, and want to know what size lift and tires they should get. I ask "what are you doing with it"? They respond, "I don't know, I just got it". I tell them you have to know what kind of "course" you are planning to use it on to decide what to do to it.
My 74' CJ5 was originally from the Chicago Yacht Club and didn't come with a top. So the guy who I bought it from made it a point to say the floors would need work (actually replacing), but other than that, it was pretty decent. I basically built it for off roading, although it could be (and has been) driven on the street. But remember the only thing this Jeep came with was a heater. I put in a 304 V8 and it now has power steering. But that's it as far as any creature comforts. And now it just sits, cause I'm unemployed and don't the money to go wheeling. Not always easy to sell a Jeep You've customized for what you were using it for either. You have to sell it to someone who knows wheeling and what you have. Just some things to keep in mine. I like most all Jeeps with some exceptions for newer models, but I've done some things in my 5 that I was amazed with. JMO
Good Luck!:mrgreen:

Thanks to everyone who has answered, it's been a big help!

I think the most important question when choosing a Jeep is: How are you going to use it?

To answer that question, I am wanting to use it to drive to work, and collage, both within ten miles of my house. To be honest, I almost never go very far out of town, so I really just want something to look good in the small amount of time I do get out, if that doesn't sound too horribly superficial. I am wanting something older because they seem to be easier to fix, and also so I will not be having a breakdown every time it gets a scratch or something.

But I have another question now. What types of engines seem to be most reliable and gas-friendly?

I am definitely wanting a manual trans, but other than that I am not sure as to whether I want V8 or V6.

60jeepcj mention that 2558 6cyls have bad induction? How expensive would that be to correct, if it is correctable? What are some other common problems?

The 258 6cyl(Inline not V) is a great engine that is commonly known to last 200k miles. However the Carter carbs that came from the factory on them tend to wear out beyond repair long before the engine goes. Most guys end up switching to a Weber,Motorcraft or Holley at some point.
The 4.0L in the post "90 YJs & TJs are basiclly the same engine with fuel injection.(and of course the more complex electronics that go with it).

I had an 85 CJ7 when I was in college and it was a blast (this was back in 1998, so the Jeep wasn't that old). A CJ is the least fuel efficient, roughest riding vehicle you can get, but I loved every minute of it.

Personally I like the CJ7s - that little bit of space behind the rear seat is definitely needed. Other than that and the door style, they are close to identical.

The only thing I'd lookout for, as others have mentioned is the amount of rust on the Jeep. You can likely replace parts and fix whatever comes up, but if the frame is rotted out that can be alot of work.

CJ5's, with their narrower wheel base had a reputation for roll-over problems. The CJ7 was supposed to correct this. Some years ago, when my oldest son was 16, I bought a CJ7 for him. When I called our insurance company, GEICO, they refused to insure it, citing the roll-over issues of the CJ5's. No amount of arguing on my part changed anything and we had to sell it. The really stupid thing about GEICO's policy at the time was while they refused to insure our CJ7, they had no problem with the Suzuki Side Kick we got him, which we later learned were far more dangerous. Being 16, my son made do with the Side Kick, altho we both still would have preferred the CJ7 Renegade that we'd originally bought. Being as you're young, you may want to check with you insurance company before deciding. My personal recommendation would be a TJ.

for what you are going to be doing, and your response, i would look for a 91-94 wrangler with 6 cylinder. great (for a jeep) gas mileage and super dependable. still looks like a cj7 but with different headlights and parts are generally interchangeable with a cj7.

my wife's first jeep was a 93 (yj) wrangler. we bought it with almost 200k miles on and when she finally wanted a four door jeep, we sold it with waaayyyyyyy more miles for more then we paid for it. it didn;t break down on us or leave us stuck anywhere and we drove it to north carolina from south texas a time or two and drove it all over texas. it was her family hauler car so the kids went in the back with car seats and groceries went in the back back. it was a very good jeep and i really wish we had not sold it, looking back. we averaged 19mpg in it too. it had the auto trans instead of the stick, which was fine for her, but it was a damn good vehicle.

my carburated yj is an 87 and i have had to work on it regularly. now it has a ford v8 in it but its not nearly as "fun" as the 93 my wife had when stock. i have done tons of stuff to it and it looks cool but that fuel injected 4.0 was just a solid dependable strong engine.

and like oldchief said, a tj would be a good choice too. same fuel injected 4.0 but more of a plush car interior and super smooth ride since the tj has coil springs. the older jeep are leaf springs which naturally ride rougher on our short wheel base vehicles.

suspension mods are super cheap on tjs (96-06 wranglers) and jks (07-now wranglers) because of hte coil springs. and those coils ride like a cadillac compared to our leafs

Back