Camshaft synchronizer

Chris10

2005 X had a squealing sound when I started it up this morning. Thinking it was just a loose belt, I took it to the garage and after looking at it they said that the camshaft synchronizer needed to be replaced. Is this a common issue?
thanks!

Yes , there have been posts on this issue before. The cam sensor drive which replaces the distributor plays an important role. Not only does it provide information to the PCM with regards to the #1 position TDC needed to provide ignition timing but the drive also connects the oil pump drive via the camshaft gear to pump,oil,throughout the engine as well as operate the camshaft sensor. If this drive seizes due to a bad bushing , that spells disaster. Your engine will seize due to lack of lubrication. If it has been determined that the drive is faulty , it must be replaced.

Thanks for the info! So the ODPA is the same thing as the camshaft synchronizer? Did watch the video and the "laughing monkey" sound is the sound it was making.

Yes , ODPA is brief for Oil Drive Pump Assembly. Essentially , it's an oil pump and cam sensor in one , replacing the distributor on model years with DIS ignition . The shaft that runs through the entire assembly has a gear on the bottom which in turn connects with the gear on the cam shaft. The shaft will turn the oil pump and the cam sensor. The links that JPNinPA has posted are very informative and will help explain much in detail the operation of the ODPA and will make VERY clear how important it is to maintain and address issues with the pump drive/cam sensor.

Thanks for the info! So the ODPA is the same thing as the camshaft synchronizer? Did watch the video and the "laughing monkey" sound is the sound it was making.

Yes ODPA is an acronym for oil drive pump assembly.

Read through. There is a specific way to align engine crank and ODPA to pull inspect and or replace. There are several more lengthy threads on this and a lot of great info and attempts to repair. The latest I've read wad dorman replacement was easiest and cheapest. I've been reading a lot about it cause I likely will be replacing mine soon enough.

Back