Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  1. Blowing fuse when put in reverse

    94 yj 6 cylinder 5 spd manual, the fuse for the gauges, buzzer,and backup lights is the same fuse. When I put it in reverse it blows the fuse, figure it must be the switch for the back up lights. Can anyone tell me where that switch is located.
    Needs to go yonder.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Staten Island n.y.
    Posts
    2,000

    Re: Blowing fuse when put in reverse

    I believe the switch should be on the shift tower . It is probably easiest accessed by removing the console and runner boot and maybe even a cover . It may be too high up to reach from under the jeep if the tower is too close to the floor .
    Never overlook the obvious . It's usually right in front of us

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Dayton Ohio Area
    Posts
    6,609
    Quote Originally Posted by Gennybro View Post
    94 yj 6 cylinder 5 spd manual, the fuse for the gauges, buzzer,and backup lights is the same fuse. When I put it in reverse it blows the fuse, figure it must be the switch for the back up lights. Can anyone tell me where that switch is located.
    It is on the transmission app 90 deg from the shifter to the passenger side. But first check the wiring from the reverse lights back to the switch. You likely have a short somewhere and the switch is working properly.
    Last edited by JPNinPA; 08-04-2015 at 04:19 AM.
    "Never look down on anybody unless you're helping him up" - Jesse Jackson

  4. #4

    Re: Blowing fuse when put in reverse

    Thanks, I had the same thought today is that I need to trace the wires back to the lights. When I was told the switch cost 75 dollars from napa, that kinda made me use my head for something other then a hat rack.
    Needs to go yonder.

  5. #5

    Re: Blowing fuse when put in reverse

    Ok, I hope i didn't screw anything up. Went to take the skid plate that is underneath the transmission 0ff then the hole transmission droped down with the skid plate, it dropped about 4 inches. I jacked it back up into place and figured I better get a how to book or ask for advice before I go any further. I was doing this so as to try and follow the wires that go from the transmission reverse switch to the tail lights to find where my short is, and/or unplug the switch at the transmission to the backup lights to see if it blew a fuse when disconnected. Thus telling me if the switch was bad or it was the wires from the switch to the light. But do I need the transmission supported when I take off the skid plate from underneath it? LOST AGAIN.
    Needs to go yonder.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Dayton Ohio Area
    Posts
    6,609
    YES. Support the transmission and lower the skid plate . You may want to use a hydronic jack to lower the pan cause it is heavier than you think. Plus it makes it easier to bolt it back up.

    "Never look down on anybody unless you're helping him up" - Jesse Jackson

  7. #7

    Re: Blowing fuse when put in reverse

    Ok cool, thanks. Is it possible I may have disturbed anything, like a n oil seal, cause I noticed I had no oil leaks at all ,haveing me think I may have a pretty tight veichle for it's age.
    Needs to go yonder.

  8. #8

    Re: Blowing fuse when put in reverse

    Lesson #1, do nothing till researched. lol
    Needs to go yonder.

  9. #9

    Re: Blowing fuse when put in reverse

    Quote Originally Posted by Gennybro View Post
    Ok cool, thanks. Is it possible I may have disturbed anything, like a n oil seal, cause I noticed I had no oil leaks at all ,haveing me think I may have a pretty tight veichle for it's age.
    Well, that was a stupid question, anything is possible.
    Needs to go yonder.

  10. #10

    Re: Blowing fuse when put in reverse

    Quote Originally Posted by JPNinPA View Post
    It is on the transmission app 90 deg from the shifter to the passenger side. But first check the wiring from the reverse lights back to the switch. You likely have a short somewhere and the switch is working properly.
    I tend to think it is the switch, I took the backup lights out and put it in reverse and it blew a fuse. My thinking is that with the bulbs out that makes an open circuit and so it must be the switch, anybody got any thoughts. I'm kinda limited in electrical knowledge.
    Needs to go yonder.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Dayton Ohio Area
    Posts
    6,609
    It may be the switch. Can you disconnect the wires to the reverse lights at the switch? Then try. If it blows a fuse , the problem is the switch. Removing the bulb only shows it is not a bulb issue. With the switch open and a short anywhere from the switch to the light you will not blow a fuse until the switch is closed.
    Last edited by JPNinPA; 08-12-2015 at 12:27 PM.
    "Never look down on anybody unless you're helping him up" - Jesse Jackson

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Staten Island n.y.
    Posts
    2,000

    Re: Blowing fuse when put in reverse

    Agree with JPNinPA . If you did not find any wire terminals touching body at the tail lights and don't see any wires pinched close by , the short would have to be between the fuse and switch. That would mean it is likely the internal contacts in the switch are grounding to the transmission which is grounded to chassis. Understanding your difficulty reaching the switch which prompted to remove the skid plate. Got to be a better way . The only way I'm familiar with is to remove the floor access like you were removing the shift tower . But that involves seats and rug removal as well as console. Just for a switch. No wonder you opted to drop the skid plate . Skid plate is heavy , the seats , console and rug are the lesser of two evils. Just a shame you cannot easily access the switch plug to try a different test without grounding the switch.
    Never overlook the obvious . It's usually right in front of us

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Dayton Ohio Area
    Posts
    6,609
    Quote Originally Posted by greg92jeepxj View Post
    Agree with JPNinPA . If you did not find any wire terminals touching body at the tail lights and don't see any wires pinched close by , the short would have to be between the fuse and switch. That would mean it is likely the internal contacts in the switch are grounding to the transmission which is grounded to chassis. Understanding your difficulty reaching the switch which prompted to remove the skid plate. Got to be a better way . The only way I'm familiar with is to remove the floor access like you were removing the shift tower . But that involves seats and rug removal as well as console. Just for a switch. No wonder you opted to drop the skid plate . Skid plate is heavy , the seats , console and rug are the lesser of two evils. Just a shame you cannot easily access the switch plug to try a different test without grounding the switch.
    Actually a short between the fuse and switch would blow the fuse as the fuse is inserted. Because doesn't fail until the switch is closed means it is the switch or on the load side.

    Maybe just a typo.
    "Never look down on anybody unless you're helping him up" - Jesse Jackson

  14. #14

    Re: Blowing fuse when put in reverse

    Quote Originally Posted by JPNinPA View Post
    It may be the switch. Can you disconnect the wires to the reverse lights at the switch? Then try. If it blows a fuse , the problem is the switch. Removing the bulb only shows it is not a bulb issue. With the switch open and a short anywhere from the switch to the light you will not blow a fuse until the switch is closed.
    I got to the wire on the switch that went to the backup lights and sniped it. There was two wires,one, black and white, the other was purple. The black and white one went to the lights,that I sniped. So no problem with the switch, thanks you saved me 75+ dollars. Now to rewire or find the actual problem, which seems to me it has to do with one of the lights in the back.
    Needs to go yonder.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Dayton Ohio Area
    Posts
    6,609
    Don't discount the socket itself. I added these and see much better behind the jeep.
    Last edited by JPNinPA; 08-13-2015 at 12:40 AM.
    "Never look down on anybody unless you're helping him up" - Jesse Jackson

  16. #16

    Re: Blowing fuse when put in reverse

    I checked the continuity from the wire that I sniped at the switch to the reverse lights, and checked from light to light. All seems fine there, I'm at a bit of a loss right now, the only thing I can think of to do is disconnect both lights from the circuit and reattach the sniped wire at the switch and see if it blows a fuse.
    Needs to go yonder.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Dayton Ohio Area
    Posts
    6,609
    Check from wire to ground.
    Also check voltage across the switch side of the wires to ground in and out of reverse.
    "Never look down on anybody unless you're helping him up" - Jesse Jackson

  18. #18

    Re: Blowing fuse when put in reverse

    Quote Originally Posted by JPNinPA View Post
    Don't discount the socket itself. I added these and see much better behind the jeep.

    What's the price of those, I may as well look into that since I got it apart. Got pics?
    Needs to go yonder.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Dayton Ohio Area
    Posts
    6,609
    Looks like ~12421 for the KC HiLiTES 517 2x6 55w Back Up/Flood Light System White one isn't mine but has the lights mounted same as mine.
    Last edited by JPNinPA; 08-14-2015 at 07:06 PM.
    "Never look down on anybody unless you're helping him up" - Jesse Jackson

  20. #20

    Re: Blowing fuse when put in reverse

    Found my short while runing anouther wire, who ever put the top back on pinched the wire between the top and the tub.
    Needs to go yonder.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Similar Threads

  1. yj wont stay running when put in gear
    By jakec in forum Wrangler and CJ
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-03-2011, 03:04 PM
  2. Bang from rear when going in reverse
    By SLiM in forum Cherokee, Commander, Wagoneer and Liberty
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-22-2009, 08:01 AM
  3. Jeep Runs until i put in reverse..
    By Super6XJ in forum Cherokee, Commander, Wagoneer and Liberty
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-03-2008, 04:01 PM
  4. Blowing fuse when hauling a trailer
    By TwistedCU in forum Wrangler and CJ
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 08-04-2007, 12:58 PM
  5. 2002 GCL Clunks when put into reverse
    By mikeellis in forum Cherokee, Commander, Wagoneer and Liberty
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-29-2005, 10:38 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in