Steel Tub vs. Fiberglass

rjorris

I am working on a rebuild for a 76 CJ7 and I'm wondering what you guys prefer as far as steel vs. fiberglass. pros and cons for steel vs. fiberglass

i would love a fiberglass tub because i live about 1/3 of a mile form the ocean. i know though, if you get a fiberglass, you have to run grounds to all the stuff on hte jeep because the body is used as the common ground for all the lights and dash stuff.

I've got the full metal armor kit on a 78 CJ5 304 seems like the fiberglass would be nice and light.....but being able to tank through trees because of a solid steel shell has its advantages as well.

I've got the full metal armor kit on a 78 CJ5 304 seems like the fiberglass would be nice and light.....but being able to tank through trees because of a solid steel shell has its advantages as well.
steel has my vote, I saw one of those jeep with the fiberglass tub. Test drove it cause it was for sale, just didn't feel right.

We have several CJ's and YJ's on both sides of the Fiberglass/steel/alum replacement body fence. All sides throw rocks and complain about their choice. Fiberglass, needs a full wire ground run through it and extra body supports needed because the bouncing and trails crack the body, Alum needs ground wires also, alum body and steel wire rings corrode at different rates and fail often, just run a ground wire package, trust me. Body repairs and painting need special handling on alum. Steel, is well steel. Depending on MFG.

No one stands out, but we have more alum body replacements out here than anything else, because alum is a little lighter, but drag it across a rock and you will curse your self for not buying steel. (aluminum will gouge and ball up on the rocks making an interesting gouge mark to repair.)

So I'll take that reply as a STEEL, come on folks step up and give this here a vote and maybe stay and chat for a while.

I've had a Jeep with fiberglass front fenders & a steel tub,and 2 Jeeps with fiberglass fenders & tub(one was my sons) in the past. I have a steel replacement body on my CJ5.
I chose the steel body because I wanted the Jeep to be the closest to original that I could. Like Gennybro, I prefer the "feel" of the steel body over the fiberglass. The wiring issue mentioned by superJ & Utah Jeepster is truely something to consider. The weight issue is really not what most people think because by the time the fiberglass is reinforced enough to take the beating that a Jeep is supposed to take the weight is about the same.
Overrall I would go steel again if I was doing another Jeep. You can see some info on my thread in the Jeep Projects forum(EugeneII).
Just a note Willys-Overland in Toledo sells a very acurate replacement tub & their advertisment stating "installs in under an hour" is accurate. 2 buddies & I had mine on the frame in about 45mins...& we weren't rushing the job.

Back