1982 CJ7 Exhaust Pipe

bjscj7

Does anyone know where to find a stock replacement exhaust pipe for an 82 cj7, 4.2? Mine rotted out and broke this morning, pretty much right at the engine. So I figure no prob I'll just ode one up. I've never had any problems finding parts. I'm finding them for up to year '78 and then from year '83 and on. Can't believe it's this difficult...just looking to replace from engine to cat.

Any help would be much appreciated

I see what you mean...I just checked a few online "replacement parts" lists & they all skip that part for some reason....????....I would think a decent muffler shop could bend one up for you with no problem, or you could go to a header.Good luck & let us know what you end up doing.

I thought was losing it. I even went through my print catalogs 4wd, q-tech, crown only for same result. any noted benefit by going to a header?

The idea is the engine should breathe better. I've used headers in CJs with 4cylinder,V6 & I6 engines. The most notable performance difference was the 4cyl. The difference is usually felt when you "push" a bit higher RPM before shifting on acceleration.

Headers crack and you will still need the down pipe that you do currently. If you google the issue you will find issues locating this tube back to 2003-2004

Plus as stated in high rpm with a non restrictive exhaust and intake there are gains.

Thanks for the reply. I'll Google more on the issue but at the same time will contact my "car guy". I just like working on my CJ because it's therapeutic and relatively simple, except for rusted and frozen bolts...I've had my share

I did some more searching on the issue and came across a forum archive from early 2014. It talked about '83 and up CJs having a Pulse Air system where the front pipe has a short little thinner pipe coming off of it for an injection fitting. The assumption was it could be used on an '82 by welding the little pipe shut. My CJ is an '82 but I have only owned it since '98 so I took a closer look at the pipe to see if it was of "stock" style. Sure enough, on the side of the pipe facing inward toward the engine is the cinched closed little pipe. My assumption is that now I'm looking at the same part that fits the '83. I know there are some assumptions here but it is short money for the '83 pipe so I'm going to give it a shot.

Any comments or advice against giving it a shot?

Thanks for all the info, I have the part on order, hopefully will get it over the next few days. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Hey guys, it took a while, here's my update... The pipe for the '83 with the injection fitting DID fit my '82. I clamped the fitting shut using a bench vise and then a quick weld and I was good to go. Worst part was lying underneath reaching up to remove the "knuckle-buster" nuts from the manifold studs.

Anyway, thanks for all the input. Now I can enjoy some fall jeepin'!

Back