Thread: new carb

new carb

I have a 1974 cj5 with the 304 v8. It has the Edelbrock Performer manifold with a Carter AFB- 4 barrel. I want to get rid of that carb because it gives me nothing but problems. My question is: has anyone ever tried using a Ford 4100 shoebox carb
    on this engine ? It is 625 cfm just like the afb, but alot easier to work on, I used to have one on a 67 Mustang way back when. I eagerly await your response.
    No road ? No problem !

Re: new carb

The 4100 should do just fine. The original carb for the 304 was a motocraft 2100. A 2 barrel cousin of the 4100.
    If you want to drive a sports car, Buy a mustang.

Thanx, I will probably try that.
    No road ? No problem !

I just got to the bottom of my AFB, turned out the throttle shafts needed bushings.... and a new float for the one that sank
    Quick fixes are so named for how long they stay fixed.
    If you run out of gas, no matter which way you decide to push, the closest gas station will always be uphill and in the other direction. Corollary: The likelihood of running out increases when all of the nearby gas stations are closed.
    The parts shop that stocks part for Skylab II will not have parts for our year/model of Jeep.
    We cannot accurately judge the trajectory of a speeding critter (cat, dog, sasquatch).

5. Re: new carb

Install a Holley.

Quote Originally Posted by Scotts cj7 View Post
    Install a Holley.
    Not! I have used Holley's in the past. The orings
    start to dry out & crack then you have leaks, not a good situation. I'll stick to something simple, thanks.
    No road ? No problem !

My only trouble with my AFB after addressing the float, was the leaking throttle shafts (bushings corrected that) and the seat part of the needle/seat was way too large that came in the rebuild kit and my maladjustment of the accelerator pump. This comes from working of this piecemeal as my work intrudes often with things I'm trying to accomplish (7 day work week)
    Quick fixes are so named for how long they stay fixed.
    If you run out of gas, no matter which way you decide to push, the closest gas station will always be uphill and in the other direction. Corollary: The likelihood of running out increases when all of the nearby gas stations are closed.
    The parts shop that stocks part for Skylab II will not have parts for our year/model of Jeep.
    We cannot accurately judge the trajectory of a speeding critter (cat, dog, sasquatch).